Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,596,613 times

Advertisements

I wish there were a nice way of putting this, but telling it like it is sometimes is not so nice.
They start out with bugs, then go to snakes, the neighbors don't jump when they complain, etc. I have come to think it is just a way of life in the North to complain and it goes over like a lead balloon here. We avoid complainers like the plague, so people here are fake and not friendly.

Well we start out being friendly, but everybody has their limits and a lot of Northerners reach our limits in about six months.

I have a question for you: Does everybody in the Northern states spend all their time minding their neighbors business. Down here we like to mind our own business and let others do the same, so we think it is extremely rude for someone to decide when we should mow our lawn, wash our car, etc. Bite your tongue and keep it to yourself if you don't like the way I am doing things unless you think it might kill somebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 AM

157 posts, read 380,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
I'm from Virginia and have only lived in SC for 34 years, so I'm not a northerner. I'll also say I love SC, BUT..... 1) Over 150 years after the civil war, SC still insists on flying the Confederate Flag over the State House (Not to mention all the silly Confederate flags people put on the front of their vehicles). 2) The belief by many that public education is a secondary concern which does not deserve adequate funding. 3) related to #2--The belief by many that any kind of independent or creative thought is suspect, unnatural, and undesirable. 4) The fact that a SC representative in Congress can bladently disrespect the president of the US in a joint session of Congress (and then brag about it to every media outlet who will listen) and yet many in SC insist on defending him and insisting it had nothing to do with race (yeah right!). 5) The inability of many native South Carolinans to ever admit that the "the way things have always been done" might not actually be the best.
This response is a perfect example of what southerners have to complain about northerners. You may have lived here a long time, but you are still prejudiced against us southerners. And, if you think Joe's response was about race, you are really clueless.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,879,685 times
Transplant.

Slow drivers on the left lane...doesn't matter what race, age, gender, or type of car...happens all the time. Up north, it was only the old people in my town. I avoid them at all costs. In CA, in ten years, I didn't notice that. Here...they don't even have to be on the phones...they are just staring out ahead of them, completely oblivious to the fact that there are 7 cars behind them on the fast lane.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,902,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Transplant.

Slow drivers on the left lane...doesn't matter what race, age, gender, or type of car...happens all the time. Up north, it was only the old people in my town. I avoid them at all costs. In CA, in ten years, I didn't notice that. Here...they don't even have to be on the phones...they are just staring out ahead of them, completely oblivious to the fact that there are 7 cars behind them on the fast lane.

Totally agree!! These people baffle me. And because of them, there are a lot of people swerving back and forth between lanes to get around them. Dangerous! If you're going "slower than the flow," kindly move over!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,953,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
I'm from Virginia and have only lived in SC for 34 years, so I'm not a northerner. I'll also say I love SC, BUT..... 1) Over 150 years after the civil war, SC still insists on flying the Confederate Flag over the State House (Not to mention all the silly Confederate flags people put on the front of their vehicles). 2) The belief by many that public education is a secondary concern which does not deserve adequate funding. 3) related to #2--The belief by many that any kind of independent or creative thought is suspect, unnatural, and undesirable. 4) The fact that a SC representative in Congress can bladently disrespect the president of the US in a joint session of Congress (and then brag about it to every media outlet who will listen) and yet many in SC insist on defending him and insisting it had nothing to do with race (yeah right!). 5) The inability of many native South Carolinans to ever admit that the "the way things have always been done" might not actually be the best.

Goodness the Interstate runs both ways moedog, why didn't you just pack it up and return to Virginia? You have been here 34 years and still complaining. But glad to see you love SC, I guess you just like to complain.

If you have been to Columbia SC lately, the Confederate Flag was removed from the Capitol in 2000. At our home we fly Old Glory every day, not just holidays. We've never owned a Confederate Flag, but I don't judge the people that do, it's their prerogative.

Joe's outburst was wrong (we do understand protocol) but he made a point and it had nothing to do with the man's color. Joe was merely stating a fact.

I live within 5 miles of the nuke plant and there was no nuke plant when we built our home ... no neighbors here at that time ... we now have wonderful neighbors, the absolute best from California ... another neighbor across the road is from Virginia (Roanoke area) just beautiful people ... another neighbor from Alaska a mighty fine family.

I was born here, raised and educated here, worked here all my life and have old friends I grew up with here. But I wouldn't take anything for my neighbors that relocated from far and wide.

You will find bugs, snakes, spiders, crazy drivers here, along with killer humidity and people that don't like change ... it's called 'set in our ways' but apparently lots of transplants like it as they have moved here in large numbers and appear to be thriving.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,027,778 times
The most common complaints about SC coming from transplants, and really people in general are;

Tailgating
Speeding
Heavy Traffic/Bottlenecks
Humidity
Wildlife/Insects
Kudzu infestations
Lack of Mass Transit
Poor/Underfunded education systems

Etc..

Old 09-14-2009, 01:30 PM

160 posts, read 451,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The most common complaints about SC coming from transplants, and really people in general are;

Tailgating
Speeding
Heavy Traffic/Bottlenecks
Humidity
Wildlife/Insects
Kudzu infestations
Lack of Mass Transit
Poor/Underfunded education systems

Etc..
Tailgating, Speeding, heavy traffic/bottlenecking would not phase me in the least being from NY. The humidty maybe...it's humid here too so I'm not sure how different it is. Plus, isn't everyone in A/C most of the time these days? Wildlife and insects would be a new one for me and I will have to google kudzu because I don't even know what that is Mass transit I don't really use here in NY. As far as schools it seems everyone raves about the Fort Mill district. Do other parts of SC have poor education systems?
I'm more concerned with underestimating how much I will miss beaches and having access to museums and such as I love to do those sorts of things with my kids. The question I go back and forth on is if the tradeoff is worth it (on either end).

Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM

182 posts, read 331,302 times
Although I've never been to a beach north of Deleware, I always thought the southern beaches were considered far superior to the nothern ones. They are only 3 hrs away--it's not a bad day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
You may have lived here a long time, but you are still prejudiced against us southerners.
He's from VA--he is a southern. And although I don't agree verbatium with what he is saying, I do agree with the gist of it--and I am a southerner too.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM

160 posts, read 451,240 times
[quote=Nuke64;10754269]Although I've never been to a beach north of Deleware, I always thought the southern beaches were considered far superior to the nothern ones. They are only 3 hrs away--it's not a bad day trip.

Some of the beaches around here are very nice and you won't spend more than 30 minutes getting to one. But I suppose 3hrs isn't bad for a day trip and the truth is we don't have the opportunity to go to the beach more than a few times a summer because we have to work 34 jobs to keep up with our bills here

Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,879,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Tailgating, Speeding, heavy traffic/bottlenecking would not phase me in the least being from NY. The humidty maybe...it's humid here too so I'm not sure how different it is. Plus, isn't everyone in A/C most of the time these days? Wildlife and insects would be a new one for me and I will have to google kudzu because I don't even know what that is Mass transit I don't really use here in NY. As far as schools it seems everyone raves about the Fort Mill district. Do other parts of SC have poor education systems?
I'm more concerned with underestimating how much I will miss beaches and having access to museums and such as I love to do those sorts of things with my kids. The question I go back and forth on is if the tradeoff is worth it (on either end).
The Fort Mill school district is not representative of the rest of SC schools...K-12 and HS.

Kudzu is an invasive plant that covers many trees. SC is trying to eradicate kudzu, as many other southern states are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties