U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM

23 posts, read 42,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtransplant View Post
perhaps we'll be lucky and get some great, unique places instead of the same old chain restaurants that are accessible everywhere else you go in the country. We don't need more of the same stuff everyone else has.
Absolutely! Super WalMart was the nail in the coffin of Lancaster's Main St, and most of the restaurants on the bypass are chain restaurants (hmm... bypass = bypassing downtown businesses & they die?).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,883 times
Just down the 521 from aldi is a real nice lot or lots I should say for sale, I was looking at it the other day while i was getting my oil changed, there at the new oil change shop on 521. I'd say the lot or lots are around 170' all frontage on 521 and connects to a back street, dont really know the name of that street , however this would make a great spot for a restaurant, or a small business and you can't beat the location. Its in between the gas station at the corner of University, and the new loob shop there on 521...I wish we would get more restaurants, est..here in town locally instead of all the talk in Indianland!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,175,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtransplant View Post
Also, with restaurants closing in Ballantyne and other areas, do you think people are really ready to support the businesses the way they should be supported? I don't think so.

let's not rush things and perhaps we'll be lucky and get some great, unique places instead of the same old chain restaurants that are accessible everywhere else you go in the country. We don't need more of the same stuff everyone else has.
Unfortunately, those in Ballantyne and "great, unique" places tend to be too expensive. For some reason a lot of people (not saying you are one, mind you), especially the politicians, in Lancaster Co. think that everybody who lives in Sun City are rich retirees from FL, CA and NY (thus all the "bonus" taxes we get to pay that others don't). There are a lot of us who are not only not retired, but a far cry from rich. I would love to see some non-fast food restaurants nearer, but if they are too expensive there are a lot of people who won't be able to go and still be stuck with the fast food junk. In that case some of the chain ones such as Applebee's, Olive Garden, etc., would work out better. I'm not against the higher priced ones, just want some middle of the road ones as well.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 AM

19 posts, read 28,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Unfortunately, those in Ballantyne and "great, unique" places tend to be too expensive. For some reason a lot of people (not saying you are one, mind you), especially the politicians, in Lancaster Co. think that everybody who lives in Sun City are rich retirees from FL, CA and NY (thus all the "bonus" taxes we get to pay that others don't). There are a lot of us who are not only not retired, but a far cry from rich. I would love to see some non-fast food restaurants nearer, but if they are too expensive there are a lot of people who won't be able to go and still be stuck with the fast food junk. In that case some of the chain ones such as Applebee's, Olive Garden, etc., would work out better. I'm not against the higher priced ones, just want some middle of the road ones as well.

Exactly Rothbear, I am not suprised of the restaurants closing in Ballantyne, as most everyone is having to cut back and cannot pay double or triple the cost to eat there. It's not making sense for all these people to LIVE here and have to drive their money to Charlotte just to EAT. If I want to eat at some great or unique places, I don't mind driving to them once or twice a month. We just need the basics and then the rest will follow.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM

39 posts, read 93,988 times
I agree with you both, and certainly didn't mean to assume that anyone was too wealthy. :-) In this time, we are all watching our pennies, and trust me, I'm in NO WAY in the highter income bracket. What I meant by my statement is it would be nice to see some nice, locally owned places come up that will be supported. We do need some basics out our way. I get tired of driving to Blakeney or Pineville to get something to eat, but I have done it for so long now that it doesn't bother me that much. Guess being in the area before all the developing makes a difference. There are places now in Indian Land that aren't expensive, but are never busy it seems. A small Mexican Restaurant that had, what I thought, AMAZING authentic food in it lasted less than a year. I think we, as citizens, have become almost afraid to go to some place if we don't know the name.

And when it comes to chain restaurants, there are MANY that are wonderful but just are not in this area. I just hate the idea of Indian Land becoming another parking lot with the same food you find up and down South Blvd or Independance. Perhaps we need to start sending out emails to some other chains and try to mix it up a bit.

As for Olive Garden....can it stay in Charlotte. i would love a Macaroni Grill. :-) Same prices and nicer food...but that's just a personal observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties