U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 AM

80 posts, read 229,834 times
jenn02674,

I am interested to know more about Baxter living. My kids are 11 and 14, and we are wondering about life in Baxter. We loved it when we saw the place this weekend! But nice to hear about it from someone who lives there. Our budget is tight for Baxter, low 4's max and we'd like to be lower. Most of the lower priced homes have only 4 BR's no bonus. Are the kids outside almost year round? Are we crazy to try to squeeze into a smaller home just to get into the neighborhood? We really like the "older" sections closer to the shops, main pool, tennis, etc.

Also, since so many people from outside come into BV, what makes it any safer than other neighborhoods for kids to roam the neighborhood?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

192 posts, read 471,424 times
My 2 cents .... for what it's worth.

If you really like the Baxter concept, go for it. Everytime I drive thru there, kids are outside playing. I think it's great to be able to walk to restaurants, the library, the Y, etc. With that said, for my own reasons I chose to live elsewhere in Ft Mill. I live in a neighborhood off of Doby's Bridge Rd called Whitegrove. (On the other side of Ft Mill from Baxter) VERY kid friendly and safe. No pool but 2 ponds and nature trails leading to both. Lots of homeowners have put in pools so the kids congregate at homes where the pools are. It didn't take any time at all for my 2 kids (10 and 7) to find new friends when we moved in last year. There's always someone out walking the dog, playing at the ponds, etc.

Thru the school my kids have met several friends from the other neighborhoods down Doby's Bridge and they all seem to be family friendly. We're very close to the Leroy Springs Rec Center (for sports and swim team) and the Anne Springs Close Greenway for nature walks, hikes and other activities.

I probably haven't helped you make a decision but if you have any reservations regarding the Baxter neighborhood, don't hesitate to look into some of the other neighborhoods Ft Mill has to offer. Ft Mill is a great area no matter where you end up!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 3,063,258 times
That is really a tough call. I personally would sacrefice a smaller house to live here but that really is personal preference. It depends on where you are coming from and what you are used to though. Down here the houses do tend to be bigger than some other areas of the country like the NE and California due to real estate prices. Most people would be just fine in a 2000-2400 square foot house but if you are coming from a 3000 SF house, then it might be difficult. Or keep looking because you might find the perfect floorplan for the right price.

Like the above poster said, you can't go wrong anywhere in Fort Mill. A friend of mine rented a house in white grove and decided to buy and closed just a month ago and they love it there. Tega Cay has some great neighborhoods and they also have some great walking trails as I am now just discovering.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM

What are some good neighborhoods in Tega Cay if you don't mind me asking? Besides Lakeshore that is. And where are the trails? We saw three homes in Lakeshore, one was beautiful but had way too small of a kitchen and the other two were on the main street through the area and we just felt like there would be too much traffic on our street. So I really didn't get a good feel for that area, or for Tega Cay itself. We drove down to the marina, but that's about it.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 AM

35 posts, read 92,449 times
Lake Shore is hard to pin down as one development when it comes to homes as it is made up of several areas with different builders and house type all intermixed. Other than Lake Shore in Tega Cay there are a ffew other "developments), but there are also a lot of resell homes mixed into the different areas, Anchorage is the high money area and then you have alot of older homes in the little side spurs throughout the "city". New Construction option for single family homes are limited in Tega Cay best thing to do would be to do a search of all homes for sale in Tega Cay in your price range then compare to Baxter. My guess is you will find you get a little more house and land for the money in Tega Cay, of course this is the trade for not having the convience of the "neighborhood" life style. I work with a couple of guys who live in Baxter and love it, me I do not think I would like it in there (to close for me), but to each his/her own.
As for kids there is lots to do in Tega Cay with the beach club, golf and tennis as well as the rec programs.
They have a rec soccer program right there in Tega Cay so close to home for games, if your kids play travel soccer let me suggest you look into the Charlotte soccer clubs (there are several) just over the border, infact one is aligned with Ft Mill. The reason for this is if you get in a SC state org/club you will end up traveling to Cloumbia for most of your travel games (nearest big city), where as the Charlotte Clubs are NC state/org and play most of thier game in Charlotte becasue there are enough clubs for the travel level of play.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM

We need to look more in Lakeshore, but there just isn't much in our range right now. I did like the area very much but we just didn't see the right house in there. My kids do both play soccer, and a bennie to a SC move would be that my girls could play both soccer and tennis in HS. Here, they are both spring sports. They are playing on traveling soccer teams this summer, but not sure if we will keep that up. It is expensive, (although if the tournaments are local that is a big help) and a bigger time commitment for the family. We also like to boat, hike, etc. and need time for that! My girls also like volleyball. We have not been able to get them interested in golf to our dismay.

So now we are in a holding pattern, waiting to hear if we actually ARE moving. Haven't told the kids yet, waiting until we know for sure.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 PM

992 posts, read 1,212,345 times
Knightsbridge is a nice subdivision and well within your price range (in fact, most homes are just below that price range but still have the square footage associated with the higher prices). The homes are about 10+ years old and well taken care of (at least, the 8-9 we saw last fall were well taken care of).

Waterstone is also a nice subdivision that would have homes in a $300 price range. We looked at 4-5 homes there as well.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 AM

608 posts, read 1,078,360 times
You may want to look in Lake Wylie. There is a new community being built that may meet your needs. They are very nice homes and built by a very respected home builder. They are just completing the first homes and the prices start in the upper 300K. I know there is a waterfront park and it is in a highly rated school system. Their website is [url="lakeforestatlakewylie.com"]. This is also an unincorporated area of York county with a lower tax base that the incorporated areas.

Hope this helps,
Brian[

Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM

151 posts, read 375,318 times
If you have $300K to spend you have options. We bought a beautiful home in Tega Cay on Shoreline Pky right at that target price. There is a house just down the street that has been for sale for about 4 months, vacant, and I bet you could get it for that +/- 20K. It's like ours, about 3000 sqft, and has a screened porch. Regent Park, I bought a 2+1 Towhnhome for my mom in the old DogWood Hills division for about $88K. This area has something for everybody, but don't tell anyone it's a secret!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 PM

151 posts, read 375,318 times
Default Where are you at in Tega Cay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavy View Post
If you have not checked out Spicewood or the Reserve at gold hill they both have homes in the range you have mentioned and they are jut outside Tega Cay (as is Waterstone). It really depends on what you are looking for ; number of rooms? how big lot, age of kids (as in what schools FT Mill HS is the best in area and the new Nations Ford Hs will likely be almost as good)

I just bought in Tega Cay and love it there but I looked very hard around the area and found that prices were droping in the price range I was looking at so it might be the same in your range as well. Do not let the realtors tell you otherwise find out for yourself.
Howdy, I'm 12 year Army Vet, don't hold the Navy against you as my dad, and brothers went Navy. Where are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties