Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:39 PM

80 posts, read 345,329 times

Advertisements

SatTerra,

Does Shoreline have a lot of traffic? We looked at that house you mentioned, I love the floorplan but my DH said no way. The house had no upgrades, the kitchen was really low end. I loved the neighborhood and lot, and like you said it does have scr. porch, but he took one look at that kitchen and said "that is going to cost me too much money because you will live with it for about 2 minutes."

I found that same plan in Baxter, brand new w/upgrades, but we are not sure we want to live in the new section of Baxter - the older section has more character, parks, etc. We'll check it again later this week. That house is overpriced for it's finish level and condition - now that I have looked more I have a better feel for the market. But great floorplan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:51 PM

35 posts, read 138,926 times
I am in The Cove, I have an older house on the water and I am in the process of remodeling much of it!

Where are you?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM

Default answer on traffic

To answer your question on traffic. There is only the traffice of those who live here and a few buildrs to contend with (and builders will likely be done in next year or so). There is no "cut through" or reason to come here soince whole town is one way in and out, "you just dont cut through Tega Cay". Perhaps more importantly the police here hace little else to do but stop you for going over the speed limit or not coming to a COMPLETE STOP at stop sign. Some people whine about bvut as the father of children I feel better knowing that the word is out speed here or drive unsafe and you WILL get a ticket!
I am not sure about baxter traffic although I know some of the areas are seperated by major roads (I think Sutton RD cuts right through Baxter) and the shops and food places do attract some traffic through portions of it.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:56 AM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
Hi RetiredNavy,

We're on Shoreline Pky, and have been here about 6 months I guess, given that our free Comporium premium movie channels just expired ; ) Not to worry we signed up for NetFlix yesterday. I have to be honest I don't know my way around here much. I work the northeast region as a Systems Engineer, and when at home I spend a lot of time in the office. So I don't recognize your location. We did spend a good deal of time looking for waterfront property in the older Tega Cay section, but in the end we decided just to save the money.

A bit of our naval history. My dad was a Master Chief (electronics), my older brother a Chief (pipe fitter), and a brother on Submarines, one rung below Chief (electronics). I had 2 uncles serving on the USS Arizona that went down with shipmates; one Navy and the other Marine Corp (guess I was the black sheep like him as I went Army).

As to the other posters question about traffic on Shoreline Pky. I rarely notice it, and have a good perspective as my office faces the street (2 folding card tables and a dining room chair). It is in fact mostly Tega Cay residents with a good mix of construction folks mixed in. It's not the traffic, and I'll say it's my neighbors who give me the greatest concern. We don't allow our kids to play on the street, the days of playing a good pick up game of hardball under the streetlights have long since waned (sad), perhaps fewer broken windows as a result. As I sit on our front porch swing sometimes drinking a nice cold Corona (hope that's not illegal if it is, shhh!), I see many folks driving to where they need to get to next. **HOWEVER** as I try and mind my P's & Q's, under my breath you would surely hear me cursing you for driving so darn fast! Slow down, the posted speed limit is 20 MPH, not 30, not 22, but 20 MPH. There's a reason for this, this is a family community, lots of youngsters who haven't quite yet figured out what a 2000 lb car can do to flesh, young or old alike. There's no hurry! As Retired Navy and I can tell you, you need to arrive at formation 10 minutes early, not 5 not 3, but 10 minutes early. This allows you a cushion should something unforeseen happen that would keep you from being in formation on time. Don't get me wrong, it's not a drag strip, but having a 5 and 2 year old who like to play in their driveway with their chalk, trikes, wagons, balls, and all the other items mom has purchased to spoil them, well you get my drift.

As far as the upgrade on that home, I haven't been in it yet as I haven't noted an open house. If I get a chance I'll try and poke around to see what it had. I don't know if my place had upgrades or not as I bought it 2 years new. The home we had in California was built in 1950, was 1400 sq ft, and although I gutted/upgraded the kitchen, baths flooring and so on it was still small. Sold it for over $600K dollars, and picked up this beautiful home, in a great neighborhood, great schools and just under 3000 sq ft for a little over $300K, we consider ourselves truly blessed. I wish you would reconsider your decision just down the street, offer them $20K less than their asking and take the difference and upgrade the home with the difference!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 AM

295 posts, read 1,061,544 times
Don't buy in Baxter, if you can get in on John Wieland's "Mccullough". The trick is to get in before the hype.

It's the same concept.....

Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Thanks, looked into it, and frankly we won't do South Meck HS. I'm sure it's a fine school, and if I had small kids I wouldn't worry but I don't like the data for an incoming 9th grader. I really would prefer to be in Charlotte, we just decided on FMSD against CMS. Nothing against Fort Mill, but it seems like a collection of homes near Charlotte with good schools. I was hoping to be near to more shops, restaurants, services, etc. There, now I've gone and offended EVERYONE.

Why not Baxter though? I'm interested in your opinion because by this time next week we will have selected a home. That's the plan anyway.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 PM

not sure what you are saying in your last post????? Schools in Charlotte are good but they have alot of problems (my sister lives in South Park and they are a little disillusioned with the schools) The taxes is Charlotte keep climbing to support the schools and I think givien the cost vs benefit the FMSD is a better deal. I looke very hard and felt like there was more house for the money (long and short term) on the SC side of the border.
In fact my military retirement is Taxed in SC and not in NC and I still save money in SC due to the low Tax rate (for my job) and very low property taxes.

I am not sure though what you were sayiing in the E-mail

Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM

49 posts, read 138,094 times
ok .....where is this? I'm looking for just the thing that needs some upgrades but in a good neighborhood.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 AM

I think what you are asking is what house is it that SatTerra and I were referring to? It's a home on Shoreline Pkwy in Tega Cay (Lakeshore sub). Great floorplan, but home was finished out on the low end and has been lived in kind of hard. Currently listed at $354,000, between 3100 and 3200 SF. Screen porch and hot tub.

We ended up finding the same floorplan in Baxter Village, and put an offer in on Saturday. So, hopefully we are set! Tega Cay is fabulous, and I expected at first to end up in there, especially since we have a boat. But we are excited about Baxter Village! It's a great neighborhood.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 AM

151 posts, read 570,813 times
That sounds about right. I'm not a realtor, but I bet you could offer $324,000 or less, negotiate, and use the difference to upgrade the kitchen.

They seem to be using a discount realtor to list the place as I haven't seen a single open house since it's been listed so can't get inside to compare to our home. If you don't we have a realtor, we have used a wonderful woman, who always greeted us with ya’ll (we loved that) born and raised here in Ft. Mill who is just wonderful. She has helped us purchase 2 properties, and she's named after a fish and seems to have dated just about everyone in Fort Mill at least once : )

Yesterday after a nice dinner out with the family, I took my son to the lake (just a few blocks away), and we dropped a hook in the water. We didn't catch anything, but the moment was priceless! We heard the frogs croaking, we saw the bugs flying, we observed the young couple frolicking in the lake water, the young enthusiast on his jet ski, and a couple walking hand in hand out on the short wooden pier. We love the neighborhood!

: )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties