Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM

396 posts, read 976,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I guess I don't understand why everyone in the class has to be invited even though it's entirely likely your child isn't friends with them. That then leaves it to the every parent to RSVP to some parent of a kid her child may not get along with. Another possibility is that some kids left their invites in the bookbag or lost them. (It amazes me when my son manages to get anything home in his bookbag.)

It's a birthday party for a kid. Make it simple. But have fun with it. The advice to leave of a start time (if not a date) sounds really good. Also include an e-mail address because there are some folks like me that absolutely loathe making phone calls.
Kids who are friends in school may live in separate neighborhoods so they only see each other at school. If, as a parent, you don't have your child's friend's or friends' home address(es) and you need to send an invitation(s) to school - I personally feel that it's only best to invite every kid in that class. Kids can be very cruel ("I got an invite, YOU didn't!") and it alleviates a lot of hurt feelings. What if your child was friends with everyone in his/her class save ONE. Could you imagine how that ONE would feel being left out?

I believe you are right, though, in keeping it simple. You can read my prior post under this thread to see what I did when I gave up the birthday parties. And it was a HUGE success!

And you may also read that I left TWO email addresses along with my phone number on invites to no avail! It doesn't seem to matter what type of RSVP information you leave on those invites. I've spoken with other parents who experienced the same thing. Talk about a "Hot" topic! LOL It's mind-boggling, though, how people could be so thoughtless... and then they send invites for THEIR kids' parties with all types of RSVP info on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 AM

98 posts, read 134,842 times
Well, one of the parents who did not bother to reply to my grandson's birthday party invitation has just sent him an invitation to their son's party!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieC View Post
Well, one of the parents who did not bother to reply to my grandson's birthday party invitation has just sent him an invitation to their son's party!
Well of course! And I bet your daughter will be tempted to give this boy's mother a taste of her own medicine, but in the end will reply because she was raised with good manners!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
I have always been under the impression that RSVP meant to reply if you are coming and regrets only was meant for you to reply if you cannot come. I agree that it is very rude to not RSVP then show up but in all honesty I NEVER send a reply if I am NOT coming. So speaking for myself it isn't about rudeness, if you knew me you would know that I am not rude or inconsiderate at all but apparently I don't know the true meaning of RSVP!

At least I know now!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM

201 posts, read 598,646 times
Found this on the internet:
"It's a french term: "répondez, s'il vous plaît," which means "please reply."

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Hello again,

This opinion piece appeared in yesterday's NY Times. I guess bad manners aren't unique to Fort MIll!! By the way, my grandson did go to his classmates parties and, of course, had RSVP'd.
Enjoy that Spring Weather down there.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Oops, forgot the link: Op-Ed Contributor - The Death of the R.S.V.P. - NYTimes.com

Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
We just had a birthday party for my son yesterday and had about 15 kids that came. I believe for a wedding or formal function you should reply either way, but for a child's party you should only respond if you are coming.

Our biggest concern was people that showed up and did not RSVP. Luckily nobody did that, but we would have had to pay extra for kids we didn't expect to show. Fortunately all that RSVP'd showed up, and there were none that didn't RSVP (other than some siblings of the invitee, but that is not a problem - we were glad they came)

For future events, we plan on putting the date and location of the party, but will include "Please call for the time" to avoid people showing up without letting us know they will be there. I think that would be more rude than not responding if you plan on showing up.

**I just read the article Maggie posted, and agree for all adult functions you should respond either way. I feel differently regarding children's functions though since there are so many of them throughout the year.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:16 AM

396 posts, read 976,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I believe for a wedding or formal function you should reply either way, but for a child's party you should only respond if you are coming.
Just my opinion, but I strongly disagree. Because there seems to be no "set" standard for an RSVP anymore, I don't want to rely on somebody not responding to mean that their child isn't coming, when in fact, many people who don't respond DO bring their child.

Children's parties cost money, too, and it's not fair to the venue when they have to accommodate more kids on a last minute basis (or the parents who have to make more goodie bags "just in case". Not that they HAVE to do goodie bags, but most parents do).

It's also a downer for the child when people don't respond because they are so looking forward to their friends coming.

As far as there being a lot of kids' parties, well, that's true - but it only takes a minute or less to RSVP. Less time than posting on here! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties