Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 AM

116 posts, read 550,949 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is getting married in April and is looking for a good bakery to do her wedding cake. Has anyone used Ella Art before or know anything about them? She found them online but no one answered phone yesterday. I told her it was likely the wierd bakery hours that they usually have.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. She is not looking to spend a huge amount ($150-$175) but would still like to have a nice cake.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 AM

22 posts, read 45,140 times
I'm not familiar with Ella Art, but Cheesecakes, Etc. did my wedding cake. The woman's shop is in her house, she's located in North Charlotte, SO worth the drive. Her prices were very reasonable and her cakes were THE BEST of all the ones I tasted after attending numerous wedding shows! She does a variety of cakes and desserts, not just cheesecake. She made me 5 different cakes for my wedding and each one was SO delicious and moist, some wedding cake is so dry!

Gail was wonderful to work with! Good luck to your friend!

Cheesecake Etc. Charlotte, NC - Bakery, Cakes, Desserts - North Carolina

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

7 posts, read 29,405 times
Ella Art is great. The shop is run by Ella Knox, and she does work varied hours. The shop is located in downtown Fort Mill and Ella will be more than willing to show her shop and her previous works.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 22,487 times
Ella Art is fantastic. We tried all the Charlotte bakeries for my daughter's wedding and the vast majority said that pound cake was required for a 3 or 4 tier cake. Most of those pound cakes are more dry and offer much more mild flavors than what you get if you aren't limited to pound cake.

I'm guessing that pound cakes may be easier to deal with for decorating and transport, but not necessary as we were led to believe. Ella had no problem using any of her cakes on any of the four tiers.

Of all the cake flavors we tasted from probably 6 or 7 bakeries in Charlotte, the top 3 tasting were all from Ella (Kentucky Butter, Chocolate Fudge, Strawberry with pureed strawberries).

Don't let the size of the company dissuade you. Ella Art may be small, but all she does it make the best tasting cakes in Charlotte. She was our last stop, and frankly wasn't even on our initial list because she didn't have a website to check out (early in 2009 - she does now) - but we weren't really satisfied with anything up to that point.

Cake got unanimous rave reviews at the wedding. In the past year, we've purchased 5 cakes from Ella including the wedding cake. Communication is fantastic, and the decorating has been top notch (logos, etc.) - all with fast turnaround times.

We got multiple flavors for the wedding tiers, but if you have to stick with a traditional white cake for the whole thing, you won't find a better tasting cake than the Kentucky Butter with Buttercream icing. It melts in your mouth.

If this were a product review, I'd hold back because it would appear to be guerrilla marketing. But since any purchase will be preceded by a tasting, I've got no problem giving an enthusiastic review.

Your budget may be tough depending on the size of the wedding, but on a cost per slice basis, I believe Ella came in at one of the best prices of the bakeries we saw. You should be able to work something out - even if you supplement the wedding cake with a sheet cake in the back.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/CPanther95/Cake.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 64,000 times
I'm not sure that I can top that last review of Ella's!! However, Jeff "the Cakeman" in Rock Hill is awesome! I've used him for several specialty cakes and they have been great to both look at and eat!!

Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties