Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,797,586 times

Advertisements

I'm just getting around to posting this, but on Monday after the big deluge of rain that we had the night before, I was going to work right before 7:00am going towards downtown Fort Mill crossing the bridge near Hensley Rd and hit a pothole the size of Alaska! It shook my car it was so deep and wide
I drove a bit and realized my tire had gone flat. I passed about 3 other cars on the side of the road, I figure they hit the same hole I did.
Long story short, it cost me $560 since I had to replace 2 bent rims and 2 busted tires.

Is there any recourse against the city to recoup the cost? they patched the hole by the time I drove home, but the road is pretty raggedy and needs to be repaved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM

187 posts, read 549,114 times
The roads in York County are the absolute worst for that. If you drive down Star Light (right by the old PTL building) after a good rain, it looks like a war zone. 160 between Lowe's and the York/Lancaster line is just brutal, as well.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM

109 posts, read 349,756 times
I noticed the same thing on the way home from work tonight. I was bobbing and weaving the entire way.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM

107 posts, read 319,530 times
Jake, you could try contacting SCDOT and see if you can get compensated (though I doubt it).

I have to agree though that 160 is like the movie "twister" where they had to weave left and right to dodge obstacles!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 56,634 times
Wow, if more of our citizens thought like you, we may actually get somewhere. I have tried to get some reaction to how pitiful the roads are in Lancaster County(Fort Mill) and the surrounding areas, but no one seems to care. I think that is partially why they are in the condition they in, because we as tax paying citizens are not doing anything about it. I am so busy looking for and swerving to miss potholes that I am just amazed I have not hit someone by now. What will it take for us to stand up together and demand something be done to fix(not patch every week) these dangerous roads we are forced to travel daily? The police won't even drive on some of these roads to patrol them, which I don't blame them, because if I had a choice, I would avoid them as well.

Let's all flood these departments with our very valid complaints and insist our families have safe roads to travel. Anyone with additional information for contacting the city or state, please post here.

York County
Potholes and Sidewalks
Dangerous conditions on streets or sidewalks should be reported to the Public Works Department at 684-7172.

John Robinson, Supervisor
Tim Walling, Assistant Supervisor
PO Box 120
220 Public Works Rd
York, SC 29745-1020
(803) 628-3200 phone

Lancaster County

Roads and Bridges
1980 Pageland Highway Phone: 803-283-2101
email: roads@lancastercountysc.net

Public Works Director – Darin Robinson
1980 Pageland Highway
Lancaster, SC 29721
Phone: 803-283-2101

Administrative Assistant – Dianne Pardue

Phone: 803-283-2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I'm just getting around to posting this, but on Monday after the big deluge of rain that we had the night before, I was going to work right before 7:00am going towards downtown Fort Mill crossing the bridge near Hensley Rd and hit a pothole the size of Alaska! It shook my car it was so deep and wide
I drove a bit and realized my tire had gone flat. I passed about 3 other cars on the side of the road, I figure they hit the same hole I did.
Long story short, it cost me $560 since I had to replace 2 bent rims and 2 busted tires.

Is there any recourse against the city to recoup the cost? they patched the hole by the time I drove home, but the road is pretty raggedy and needs to be repaved.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,326 times
i was wondering the same thing...i doubt they will reimburse you, but i guess it's worth trying. i've been meaning to call myself. i hit the big hole on the same monday morning as you, jake! busted my tire and wheel. lots of $$$ and hassle. this week i saw the same mess on the other side of the road heading to work. it was like deja vu...big hole, 5-10 cars pulled over with emergency lights...sigh.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM

119 posts, read 361,033 times
There is a pothole, STILL at the bottom of Hensley Rd where it meets 160. I think I could fit 2 big watermelons in it at this point! If I was going slow enough, I might get my tire stuck in it!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:12 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,326 times
i finally called today. the sc dot is in charge of 160, so they york dot transferred me to them. they took my info and put a form in the mail for me to fill out. they said there is no guarantee that i will get any reimbursement, but to fill out the form and wait and see.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 PM

595 posts, read 1,621,914 times
There are roads in Rock Hill & York that are filled with potholes. I saw them patch them up but after the next rain, they were all back.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM

23 posts, read 56,113 times
All major and secondary roads in SC, with a few exceptions belong to the state. Call the DOT office, not the local public works office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties