U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 AM

18 posts, read 50,831 times
Default Schools in Fort Mill for autism/apraxia

My husband and I are considering a move to Fort Mill, SC. We have one elementary school aged child who is HFA (high functioning autism) and another child entering kindergarten who has apraxia. We're coming out of a lovely, small private school where the kid's are accepted but get few services.

Can anyone tell me about the schools & services in the Fort Mill area for children with special needs? (The oldest needs help in the area of social/language processing and the youngest needs help with speech production/fine motor. We would love to see a speech therapist who is trained in PROMPT for the apraxic child.)

Thanks,
Vicki
ToxicAngels2@comcast.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 06:41 PM

4,732 posts, read 13,297,124 times
I was just reading something today (I'm sorry I can't remember the source) that said that FM school district is excellent with special needs children.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 3,063,258 times
Unfortunately I have heard the opposite. This is from a friend of a friend that has a young child with autism. As great as Fort Mill schools are, she said that they are not great for special needs children and she had to get another job so that she could send her child to private school. I don't know any more than that though. I might be able to get you in touch with her though if you PM me.

Jenn

Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 AM

14 posts, read 31,190 times
Fort Mill School District is the ABSOLUTE WORST FOR SPECIAL NEEDS KIDS. Check out the Charolotte Observer today 11/4/07 in the Friends section for Lancaster/York county. Also, there was an article in the Fort Mill Times last Wednesday, 10/31/07. There is an upcoming hearing about special education - childs disability is Aspergers Syndrome.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 92,258 times
I completely disagree with the statement that Fort Mill is the worst for special needs children. My child has speech delay, auditory processing disorder, developmental coordination disorder, adhd and dyslexia. He receives speech and OT. The school has been more then accomodating with us and has kept up very good communication. They have adjusted the way they teach him in the regular classroom and allow more time for his work, etc... His special service teachers are excellent as well. He receives services twice a week there and is making an enormous improvement. He is doing wonderfully in school and enjoys it very much. The only thing they did require that gained us more services was an actual diagnosis from an independent party (doctor, psychologist) someone that could actually make a diagnosis since the school cannot make a diagnosis only a recommendation. But if your child is truly special needs, you already have that independent evaluation from an outside source. They also have a seperate school in Fort Mill for middle school and up that take children with more severe disabilities such as down sydrome, severe adhd, autism etc...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 18,698 times
If you have a special needs child and are considering Fort Mill, SC ..... RECONSIDER!! This is the most backwards, antiquated, discriminatory, disingenuos, law breaking, group of individuals that make up a school district that I have, or ever will, see. The Fort Mill School District from top to bottom are scum. If there is a special education law on the books then they are knowingly and blatantly breaking it! Sure, come to Fort Mill... but pack a good special ed lawyer first!

http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/edu...127984058.html

Last edited by WJB526; 09-03-2011 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Link

Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 AM

144 posts, read 158,176 times
I work at a school in Charlotte for children like this & it services the entire Mecklenburg County. I've heard other counties that have schools such as this one, and unfortunately York isn't one of them. If you move to a town in Mecklenburg, or look up another SC county (if you'd rather live in SC), then you could probably find a school that is suited to these needs.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM

10 posts, read 18,698 times
I've researched the heck out of all of the Carolinas and truth be told, a move 700 miles north is about the only thing to remedy the ignorance around here. We've visited and tried out several districts and private schools and nobody has a clue what they're actually doing. They think if they say ABA or mention Dr. Carbone in passing that they have a grip on things. Well welcome to 1982 because they're is a loooong way to go down here! Fort Mill Schools just happens to be the poster child for discrimination and deliberate indifference.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM

153 posts, read 240,580 times
I apologize that I cannot answer the original poster's question, but I wanted to mention a recent Rock Hill Herald article that shared the experiences of a couple of Lake Wylie families participating in a "surfing" camp for autistic children.

The non-profit organization Surfers Healing planned to conduct 16 of the camps this year. The camp attended by the Lake Wylie families was in Folly Beach on the same weekend Hurricane Irene came through.

If you have a child with autism, or know someone who does, it might be worthwhile to read the article, and check into the programs Surfers Healing is offering.

LAKE WYLIE | Lake Wylie children with autism find therapy at beach | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

Surfers Healing

Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM

520 posts, read 666,416 times
WJB526-
Know one is keeping you here. If things are so great 700 miles away then have at it. If that was where I needed to be to give my child the best that is where I would be. Not here complaining and insulting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties