Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,473 times

Advertisements

Curious to see what other think about the cuts being made. While educational service are my top priority I am really upset about the ending of middle school sports. I know how important those type of team experinces were in my life. I also wonder how FM will have any competitive high school teams when the kids don't start in middle school. Many kids depend on athletic scholarships to help pay for their education. I also wonder what these cuts are going to do to home values. If Fort Mill schools lose some of their repuation what is going to keep up our values compared to other area's?

It appears that they are looking at cuts only and not alternative funding. IS there anything that does not allow for sponsorhip of certain things i.e. Dicks Sporting goods soccer team, Harris Teeter home economics?

Who has the legislative power to fix this funding issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM

38 posts, read 148,704 times
I have to say that of all the cuts I've read about, the sports are the last thing I was worried about. If it was high school it would be a different story, but I'm sure there are rec leagues to fill the void of midde school sports. I'm more concerned about losing teachers when we are gaining students each year!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM

143 posts, read 304,798 times
sports may not concern you but the college market is a tough one. when every student applying has a 4.0, they look for which students were more involved with their high schools with things such as sports!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 AM

38 posts, read 148,704 times
Right, but they are cutting middle school sports - not High School!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd2001 View Post
I have to say that of all the cuts I've read about, the sports are the last thing I was worried about. If it was high school it would be a different story, but I'm sure there are rec leagues to fill the void of midde school sports. I'm more concerned about losing teachers when we are gaining students each year!
I did say sports were not my top concern and education was. I am really sad about the sports because the rec programs just aren't all that avaiable. I know places like LSC no longer have girls soccer for kids above U-10. Travel soccer can cost several thousand dollars and frankly my daughter is really good and loves to play and she was so excited to get to play with her school. I think sports foster school spirt, provide excellent physical activity and teamwork experince not to mention opportunity for scholarships.

As my friend put it on FB, WHy can the government find the money to bail out the auto industry and not the schools. RH is letting 50 teachers go, Fort Mill has the long list of cuts including teachers and places like Kentucky are closing 20 plus schools.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM

396 posts, read 976,828 times
I think it's important to note, too, that activities such as sports not only build esteem and team spirit, but they keep kids from being bored as well as out of trouble. I'd rather my child go to or participate in a basketball game, football game, whatever!... than end up hanging with "the wrong crowd", which could, in effect, lead to some majorly wrong choices in life. I think school activities give the kids a sense of purpose and well being.

You know... I'm the first one with my hands in my pockets (which aren't very deep!) when I hear about kids in need (i.e. - I donated to Haiti and other disaster funds in the past, I donate to cancer funds for kids, etc...).

Letting our public school system fall by the wayside IS a DISASTER. Teachers losing jobs and schools closing IS a DISASTER. I've watched Fort Mill grow so fast in the almost 10 years I've lived here and there are so many kids here (and everywhere across the country) who deserve so much better than what they are being dealt right now. It's so cliche, I know, but today's kids are tomorrows leaders and they should be cultivated accordingly - by not having cuts and by not having activities taken away that can strengthen their character.

I'd be willing to somehow dig in my pockets to give the schools a chance. I know there are many who can't, but maybe we should see Ms. Obama on TV pleading with the public to text "HELP OUR SCHOOLS" on their cell phones the way she did for Haiti. And I DO know that is comparing an apple to an orange. People losing lives and children losing families and homes is certainly no joke.

But this is a time to help OUR OWN, too, before the disaster gets more serious. Maybe it could be a temporary solution until something permanent can be figured out?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
I think it's important to note, too, that activities such as sports not only build esteem and team spirit, but they keep kids from being bored as well as out of trouble. I'd rather my child go to or participate in a basketball game, football game, whatever!... than end up hanging with "the wrong crowd", which could, in effect, lead to some majorly wrong choices in life. I think school activities give the kids a sense of purpose and well being.

You know... I'm the first one with my hands in my pockets (which aren't very deep!) when I hear about kids in need (i.e. - I donated to Haiti and other disaster funds in the past, I donate to cancer funds for kids, etc...).

Letting our public school system fall by the wayside IS a DISASTER. Teachers losing jobs and schools closing IS a DISASTER. I've watched Fort Mill grow so fast in the almost 10 years I've lived here and there are so many kids here (and everywhere across the country) who deserve so much better than what they are being dealt right now. It's so cliche, I know, but today's kids are tomorrows leaders and they should be cultivated accordingly - by not having cuts and by not having activities taken away that can strengthen their character.

I'd be willing to somehow dig in my pockets to give the schools a chance. I know there are many who can't, but maybe we should see Ms. Obama on TV pleading with the public to text "HELP OUR SCHOOLS" on their cell phones the way she did for Haiti. And I DO know that is comparing an apple to an orange. People losing lives and children losing families and homes is certainly no joke.

But this is a time to help OUR OWN, too, before the disaster gets more serious. Maybe it could be a temporary solution until something permanent can be figured out?
So well put. What about a telethon for the schools.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM

100 posts, read 373,660 times
It bothers me greatly. What bothers me most is how our politicians are handling it, or not handling it, I should say.

Please take a minute to read this article

No quick relief from Act 388 | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2010/03/09/1027297/no-quick-relief-from-act-388.html - broken link)

Pay close attention to the Rep from Clover. Unbelievable. From Congress to the statehouse, we need some new in touch representatives.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcarolina View Post
It bothers me greatly. What bothers me most is how our politicians are handling it, or not handling it, I should say.

Please take a minute to read this article

No quick relief from Act 388 | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2010/03/09/1027297/no-quick-relief-from-act-388.html - broken link)

Pay close attention to the Rep from Clover. Unbelievable. From Congress to the statehouse, we need some new in touch representatives.
That article is shocking. Especially the lawmaker from Rock Hill who basically admits he doesn't know anything about the school's he serves and doesn't care.

I think the opposition needs to come together and form a lobbying group to get this changed.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
We should all be worried and speaking up against this Act 388. I am a school teacher and we are not even sure where this will land after all cuts have been made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties