Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM

14,373 posts, read 20,443,434 times

Advertisements

I wrote the President of Time Warner a letter, asking for each and every reason, they could not offer their service to Rock Hill and Fort Mill, and never got an answer.
Their spokesperson on the phone said I'd get a reply back 100%. It's been many months and no reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,921,782 times
It would surprise me if you received a reply. Rock Hill Telephone has owned this area for over 120+ years. Changing their name to Comporium in early 2000 but the Barnes family is still in total control. When people relocate here they may as well accept it or get DirecTV or Dish. We left Rock Hill Cable Company (before they changed their name) and have been happy with DirecTV.

I use Comporium internet as I tried Hughes Net and believe me that is the pits. It's about as bad as a 56-k modem dial-up. My land line telephone is Comporium too.

Long long ago when I worked in Charlotte my work had push-button telephone .... at home across the border we still had rotary dial. It was many years before we had push-button dialing.

Bitching and moaning won't help, it's not going to change. TWC may be able to provide service to the outer boundaries. My son travels in his work and has a Verizon or Sprint 4g and when he visits it doesn't work here.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Same here, except I do have my land line phone on the bill too...I never heard of any "overage" charges for internet. I don't recall receiving anything from Comporium about it, and nothing is on their www site that I could find.Long time ago, when people could start affording to buy computers for home the providers did sometimes, have limit times, with overage charges, but that all went out the window years ago.
http://www.comporium.com/uploads/legal/Int_Monthly_Rate_Limits3.htm

Last edited by BlackSheep2007; 07-17-2011 at 04:09 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 PM

153 posts, read 471,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
... I never heard of any "overage" charges for internet. ... the providers did sometimes, have limit times, with overage charges, but that all went out the window years ago.
Actually, overage charges have never really disappeared. The emphasis has simply changed from being time-based to being download-based.

About 3 years ago, Time Warner tried introducing monthly bandwidth limits, with usage levels as low as 5 GB. The consumers fought it, and TWC backed away in most markets.

A more-recent example is Verizon Mobile, who has eliminated their unlimited download plan for new Smartphone customers. Some Verizon competitors already had price plans based on the amount of Smartphone usage.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM

205 posts, read 644,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I wrote the President of Time Warner a letter, asking for each and every reason, they could not offer their service to Rock Hill and Fort Mill, and never got an answer.
Their spokesperson on the phone said I'd get a reply back 100%. It's been many months and no reply.
I think the core of the answer here is buildout costs plain and simple. TWC has no infrastructure at all in Fort Mill and Rock Hill and to do so would cost easily hundreds of millions of dollars to do. Then they have to entice people to switch over to them rather than stay with Comporium. Imangine how long it would take for TWC to recover their costs with a buildout of that magnitude. In Charlotte and surrounding areas they simply went in and bought out other companies years ago (remember Cablevision and Vision Cable) then they just add on as the area grows. A couple of years ago they bought the Adelphia infrastructure and subscribers in the Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson area. The only reason we can get TWC in Indian Land is because they built in the infrastructure for Sun City.

Bottom line, I don't think you will see TWC in Rock Hill until Comporium sells out or agrees to lease their infrascructure to TWC (not likely).

In the big scope of things, I think hard wired anything for residential customers is on the way out before too many more years anyway. As soon as wireless high speed (public) ethernet is perfected, the only people left on copper and fiber will be businesses. Once that happens, you can choose whoever you want.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,121 times
Default My Comporium Complaints

I just move to the Rock Hill area from Eastern NC. I had choices between TWC and ATT U-verse and several less suppliers. I didn't find much difference between TWC and ATT in the pricing and services offered.

That being said my complaint is I'm paying way more to Comporium than I did for either TWC or ATT and getting less features and services.

1. I had a DVR that held up to 120 hours of recordings that could be viewed by any TV in my house that had a DVR. I could record four channels at one time.The DVR I got from Comporium records only on the TV it is attached to and I can't even find out how many hours it will store. I can only record two channels at one time on Comporium DVR and only watch on the TV the DVR is attached to.

2. TWC and ATT had tons of support information on their websites plus forums with tons of info. Comporium has very sparce information if any at all.

3. Although I can get through to Comporium support quicker they are less knowledgeable and generally want to call me back...which doesn't happen.

I don't mind paying higher prices IF I get more services. This isn't the case with Comporium.

New Comporium Customer

Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM

14,373 posts, read 20,443,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslamntee View Post
I just move to the Rock Hill area from Eastern NC. I had choices between TWC and ATT U-verse and several less suppliers. I didn't find much difference between TWC and ATT in the pricing and services offered.

That being said my complaint is I'm paying way more to Comporium than I did for either TWC or ATT and getting less features and services.

1. I had a DVR that held up to 120 hours of recordings that could be viewed by any TV in my house that had a DVR. I could record four channels at one time.The DVR I got from Comporium records only on the TV it is attached to and I can't even find out how many hours it will store. I can only record two channels at one time on Comporium DVR and only watch on the TV the DVR is attached to.

2. TWC and ATT had tons of support information on their websites plus forums with tons of info. Comporium has very sparce information if any at all.

3. Although I can get through to Comporium support quicker they are less knowledgeable and generally want to call me back...which doesn't happen.

I don't mind paying higher prices IF I get more services. This isn't the case with Comporium.

New Comporium Customer
I'm getting basic and basic plus cable TV for $60.07 and standard cable modem internet for
$46.95 or a total of $107.02.

Curiously the internet is not charged any taxes or anything.

The cable TV is actually $54.95 but these are added in:
$3.16 state sales tax

8 cents for FFC regulatory fee.
WHAT THE H _ _ _ are they regulating?
They sure are not regulating monopolies in the cable industry.

$2.79 for Broadcast Station Fee. I'm not sure what that goes toward.

$2.25 for Catawba Services Franchise Fee. I thought Comporium was the old Rock Hill Telephone Co.
What does Catawba have to do with it and why is there a franchise fee? The franchise should have been paid for decades ago. Comporium is not a franchise, they own themselves.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 PM

157 posts, read 379,454 times
Catawba Services was the name of the cable TV section of Rock Hill Telephone Company. When they changed the name to Comporium, everything came under the new name.

The franchise fee is a fee to the City of Rock Hill that they just pass on.

Talk about a monopoly. Don't get me started on the City of Rock Hill. Now there is a cash cow!!!!

They annexed my company's property into the city and sent us a bill for $15,000 for a Fire Impact Fee. They want the payment NOW!

Not to mention, they charge residents for water breakages on the resident side of the meter. Even when the bill runs up to $900 because water was pouring out from a broken line. Paying for spilled water!!!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 AM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
The broadcast station fee is to pay for carriage of the local broadcast channels, such as WBTV and WSOC. Basically CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox. Those stations charge the cable cos. a fee to carry their signals, and the cable cos. try to recoup that charge from the consumers. But you can always get a TV antenna and get the local channels for free, and keep cable only for internet. And add a Roku type box for internet streaming. Plus, in York Co, with an outside antenna, you can also get Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg stations.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,921,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
Catawba Services was the name of the cable TV section of Rock Hill Telephone Company. When they changed the name to Comporium, everything came under the new name.

The franchise fee is a fee to the City of Rock Hill that they just pass on.

Talk about a monopoly. Don't get me started on the City of Rock Hill. Now there is a cash cow!!!!

They annexed my company's property into the city and sent us a bill for $15,000 for a Fire Impact Fee. They want the payment NOW!

Not to mention, they charge residents for water breakages on the resident side of the meter. Even when the bill runs up to $900 because water was pouring out from a broken line. Paying for spilled water!!!
Is that located near Newport ... we stopped for produce recently at the guy's stand on the corner of Hwy 161 and Adnah Church Rd and he said the Rock Hill city limits was extended to the middle of Adnah Church Road. That would include the new Walmart Shopping Center, Covington Garage, Newport Vet. I guess the Impact Church would be tax exempt.

There is really no need to complain about Comporium (formerly Rock Hill Telephone Co) owned for over a hundred years by the Barnes family and they keep multiplying so there will always be a Barnes around and the City of Rock Hill loves the Barnes family. So telephone, cable TV, security systems, internet for our area will never change, it's the way it is and will remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties