Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 32,595 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the Fort mill area and was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the two different schools. I heard that one side of Fort Mill is York County schools (Fort Mill) and the other is Lancaster County (Indian Land Schools). If this is correct anyone have any preference to the schools on either side? Also anyone have an opinion about Legacy Park community and what schools they attend? (Indian Land or Fort Mill) Thank in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
I think Legacy Park is FMSD; I may be wrong. Indian Land schools are not bad, but FM has a reputation for being among the best in the state and has for many years.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM

192 posts, read 687,464 times
In regards to Fort Mill township; anything in Lancaster Co (521 area) will be Indian Land schools. York Co will be Ft Mill Schools. You may want to check out GreatSchools.net to get more info about the school districts.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 AM

251 posts, read 1,128,091 times
I don't mean to be rude, but it shouldn't be too hard to determine which school district a particular subdivision is in. Legacy Park is in the INDIANLAND/Lancaster Co. school district. Any home/neighborhood located in Lancaster Co. is in the Lancaster Co. School District. Any Fort Mill address located east of Sugar Creek, a large easily recognized geographic landmark, is in Lancaster County. Most, if not all, prommotional materials for new subdivisions in Indian Land very clearly state they are in the Indian Land School district. Hint: When driving from downtown Fort Mill, you will pass all three of the Indian Land Schools, including the brand new Indian Land High School, just before turning left off 521 toward Legacy Park! Maybe this will help---beginning July 1, the Indianland area will have a new zip code---29707. Any property in the 29707 zip will be in the Indian Land school attendance area. 29715 and 29708 will be in the Fort Mill SD!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 32,595 times
Default Thanks for info

Moedog, I know you did not mean to be rude but I also live 800 miles away and wanted to know the cutoff from one area to another when they change from Lancaster Co. to York Co. which you supplied for me and I am grateful for that. You were quick to assume even though I put in my thread that I moving to the area tha I could hop in a car and know exactly where you are talking about and the landmarks you mentioned. I thank you for your info (even the obvious things I could do to find out the answer) and thought it would be nice to get the info from someone down there to make a connection and someone that would know more which you did. More than any promotional material would have told me as you suggested. I like to think I am an intellectual person that could go the obvious means but wanted to go more the means of talking with people instead to get the info. But thanks for the info anyways and God Bless.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 AM

192 posts, read 687,464 times
Rstringerh24, Some people on this forum tend to get up on their soapboxes and blast people asking simple, innocent questions. I'm sorry about that. The subject of IndianLand vs Ft Mill comes up quite often because Indianland currently has a FT Mill zipcode. Many businesses, neighborhoods, etc show it to be IN FT. MILL. It can be VERY confusing to someone moving here from out of the area. The same thing happened to us when we moved to TX. We had an ADDRESS (zipcode) of one school district but the neighborhood was right over the county line making it in another school district.

Again, in regards to Ft Mill township. Lancaster Co is Indianland schools. York Co is Ft Mill schools.

I moved here in November and after many, many, MANY hours studying everything I could find regarding the area and SCHOOLS, we chose FT MILL. I think we would have been happy with either district. We just had to weigh ALL the programs, scores, distance, bus routes, well....everything and come up with what was best for us. You may want to visit the schools in question when you come for a house hunting trip.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 PM

151 posts, read 571,029 times
Default Schools

We moved here last August after my wife did a good deal of research on schools for our 5 and 2 year old kids. My 5 year old hasn't started K yet, but he did go to Leroy Springs pre-school and as a dad who is always traveling we **LOVED** the great job the wonderful teachers did with him. He was doing stuff in pre-school that I didn't do until 1st grade. If that's any indicator, we are truly blessed to have escaped the terrible LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District).

Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM

80 posts, read 345,434 times
There is a state website that all school districts in SC use to report their scores, etc. This is more comprehensive information than what greatschools.net shows you. It also includes info like # violent acts. Anyway, check it out. School Report Cards - South Carolina Department of Education (http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ - broken link)

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

35 posts, read 138,983 times
Default nice info site Soccermom

What is truly interesting is that if you look at the new attendance map and the area demographic I think FMHS will be even better in the next few years with the type of growth in its attendabce area.

I drove by FMHS the day after school ended for the summer (In-laws wanted to see the sons new school to be) and they were already removing the portable!!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,091 times
If you chose your child's school solely on the basis of test scores, you may be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties