Pampa, TX: THIS WAY TO WAL-MART: In 2007, most of Pampa's retail business is growing north along the Hobart Street/Highway 70 corridor.
Rate this picture:
Pampa: PAMPA TRAIN DEPOT. Pampa began as a site owned by the White Deer Land Company and designated as a station on the Southern Kansas Railway in the summer of 1887.
Pampa: NAIDA STREET, looking south, on the west side of town.
Pampa: OLD DERRICK BAR and several other taverns are located just outside city limits so they can serve customers alcoholic drinks on Sundays.
Pampa: PAMPA LUMBER: this photo was conceived about 1962 by a 10-year-old, when it was still a lumber yard, and shot in 2007 after a 45-year absence. Apparently it's a diner now.
Pampa: HISTORIC "SHOTGUN" HOUSE, typical of post-WW2 residences built for employees of oil companies, was originally located in an employee "camp" alongside a refinery or plant. It is now located across the street from Central Park. The nearby town of Borger has many more of these.
Pampa: HOBART STREET UNDERPASS is a Pampa landmark.
Pampa: CENTRAL PARK: Red Deer Creek, which begins as a shallow wash in west Pampa, flows through Central Park and eventually carves a deep, widening break in the escarpment of the Llano Estacado on its 35-mile journey northeast to the Canadian River.
Pampa: BOWERS CITY PLANT of Phillips Petroleum occupied this site ten miles south of Pampa off FM Road 749 through the late 60s. The plant, scores of employee homes, an elementary school, a fire station, and a general store stood where only cows graze now.
Pampa: CLOSED RESTAURANT on West Foster Avenue in the historic downtown area.
- 7205 times
- Current avarege rating
- 5.9 (64 votes)
- Picture by
- TJ Pierce
- Submitted on