The Beach Institute of Savannah, Georgia is part of the King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation and Ulysses Davis Collection. The institute offers frequent exhibits of modern and historical art. It is possible to see old paintings of the institute also. One was created by Sharon Saseen when it existed in earlier centuries. The institute was built in 1867 by Freedmen's Bureau and the American Missionary Association. It was named after Alfred S. Beach. He was the editor of Scientific America at the time. He also donated funds to the institute.
As a small college it had 600 students at the time. Nine of the teachers were female and there was one male principal. Most of the teachers were Caucasian. Tuition in 1873 was $1 per month.
In 1874 the institute was turned over to Savannah Board of Education. It was then a free public school for black children. In 1878 a fire damaged the building so it was temporarily closed. The American Missionary Association took control back opening educational programs for Savannah residents. It eventually became a Boys Club in 1917. In 1919 the Institute was closed due to a lack of enrollment. The building still stands today as an important piece of Georgia history.