View Single Post

Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 AM
svenM

1,821 posts, read 2,342,917 times
Quote:
And the words "aionas" and "aionon" are plural nouns, yet they are translated with an adverb("ever"). And "ton" means "of", not "and" ... Translating "aionas ton aionon" with "for ever and ever" is in every sense an incorrect and improper translation of the original Greek."
absolutely right, however in this case it was "age of ages", one might argue what ages of ages mean, but to me it is pretty clear that "age of ages" denotes a particular age in a series of ages, there is not the slightest reason to render this with the NONSENSICAL idiom "forever and ever"

I will show now from the KJV that eternal/everlasting and forever to not mean "endless" in English bibles:

Eternal is not endless in English bibles:

Isaiah 60:15, KJV

Whereas thou hast been forsaken and hated, so that no man went through thee , I will make thee an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations.

"eternal" is equated here with "many generations", this is quite plain
God is also called "eternal" in the KJV, Deuteronomy 33:27:

The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

"eternal" is equated with merely some generations and yet ascribed to God which shows that there is no idea of the philosophical concept of eternity, which we have now, in the bible

In Jude 7 we read:

Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

In Sodom and Gomorrha there is burning no more fire, if the peope of Sodom would burn in hell right now, Jesus' words were meaningless:

Markus 6:11

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

these words were absurd and meaningless if the people of Sodom and Gomorrha would be burning in hell right now and would burn evermore

therefore "eternal" in Jude 7 cannot mean what eternal tormentists claim it to mean, a further witness is Ezekiel 16:53:

When I shall bring again their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters, and the captivity of Samaria and her daughters, then will I bring again the captivity of thy captives in the midst of them

Sodom and Gomorrha will be restored according to the Prophet

Everlasting is not endless in English bibles:

Numbers 25:13

And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

Hebrews 7:14-17

For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless [akatalytos] life. For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

this everlasting priesthood wasn't endless, "endless life" in Hebrews is akatalytos, not aionios

Forever is not endless in English bibles:

Jonah was forever in the belly of the fish (Jonah 2:7):

I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

Jonah was in hell there according to the KJV and yet was delivered (Jonah 2:2;10):

And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. [...]
And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

Jonah was forever in hell for 3 days and nights:

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

this was not endless

to be continued...