View Single Post

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Suburban Mom of 2 Kids

60 posts, read 174,512 times
Default Lfcds

Our children both attend LFCDS, and this Fall will be our 7th year as part of the school.

Benefits:
  • For the North Shore, diversity of student base is pretty decent; look at their website for a reflection of the communities represented...
  • Class sizes are modest, allowing for personalized attention of students; most teachers get and take opportunities to learn about the student as an academic, social and general 'person' perspective
  • School emphasizes development of the whole student, and overall, delivers....
  • W/O experience with another school system, its tough for me to compare academics....I have heard that LFCDS curriculm is rigorous, and preps students well for high school; my own experience with two kids has reflected rigorous curriculm and expectations...
  • Communication from the school is getting better....communication with individual teachers is (mostly) awesome
  • Great access to the latest in technology and liberal arts (music, art, drama),
Opportunities
  • Despite propaganda, curriculm is not as seamlessly linked as it should be; conttinued effort going on in this area to address the gaps
  • While the majority of teachers are caring, and take extensive interest in all of their students, there are some additional opportunities to continue to prune 'dead wood'
LFCDS is all you would expect from a "clique" perspective (both parents and students) ...if you are not that into cliques, it won't bother you...if you are sensitive to it, it will probably bother you a lot. The school itself is very family oriented, and provides lots of opportunities for parents to be involved. If you, as a parent, are into that kind of stuff you will enjoy it. Sibling relationships are recognized, supported and encouraged throughout the day.

Let me know if you have additional questions or topics I haven't touched on.