View Single Post

Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
eileenkeeney

653 posts, read 1,799,754 times
When I moved out of my house in Oregon, I had a lot of papers I wanted to get rid of, but not without destroying (all because I put stuff I don't want to just put in the recycling into a pile, with the intent to shred later, usually being too lazy to do it right away)

Then, as I was doing the shredding, my shredder broke.

I then went to take the clothes out of the dryer, and realized that some papers I had in my pocket, had become completely non-readable.
From this I got an idea.

As I experimented with the idea, I learned that it worked best with a stretchy type pillow case, and a reasonable volume of paper (so that there was lots of room for swishing). Too large a stack of paper and it didn't work well.
And I only throw it in with the darks. But I could put in whole envelopes, without removing contents (something I could not do with my shredder, although I would have thought I could based on the marketing information on the box).

One of my friends thought I should market the idea (one of those "As seen on TV" type ads, where one makes a simple task look way more difficult than it is, and then makes the task with their device look way easier than it really is).
My reply was "It is just a jersey knit pillow case with a rubber band around the top".
His response "don't tell them that, make it seem like it is a special fabric and a special construction".