View Single Post

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
waronxmas

8,490 posts, read 15,045,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
i wonder what the capital of white america is?
latin america
asian america (that dont even sound right)
While others have chimed in, I'll give my take on it.

Saying which city is the "Capital of Black America" is not to separate Black americans from everyone else but to state which city is perceived epicenter of African-American cultural and political power. It is no different than saying:

Boston is the Irish Capital of America
San Francisco is the LGBT Capital of America
Miami (or LA) is the Latino Capital of America

The reason you never hear the questioned asked "What is the White Capital of America" is because of the following:

1. Historical facts that have lead to a negative connotation of the phrasing and thought of such a statement

2. Contrary to popular belief, there is not a single common unifying cultural identity for "White Americans" as there is for African-Americans, Latino-Americans, LGBT Americans, etc. White Americans tend to base their identification more so on a regional basis or an ethnic basis such as Irish or Italian etc.

3. As far as I know, there isn't a major city where White Americans as a whole don't do well. Even in the city the poll is leaning towards (Atlanta) can boast that only 8% of the city's (city proper, not metro) White population is below the poverty line. In more succinct terms, of the 211,000 people who are White Americans in the City of Atlanta, only 16,000 of them are at or below the poverty line. Turns out the Capital of Black America is good for White America too.