View Single Post

Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Count David Moderator

13,826 posts, read 30,060,122 times
7 pages of thread and not one response from somebody who could be considered Mexican-American?

Until now.

For perspective, I grew up in Southern CA.

I'm not a fan of the "Brown Pride" or calling oneself "brown", but I think those that do, do so to distinguish themselves from the races present.

Some Mexicans and Mexican-Americans do not consider themselves to be the same as White, Black, or Asian Americans. They consider themselves to be distinct (-ly different) from all of the above -- they might not see themselves as being the same or equal to Whites.

Many Mexican/Mexican-Americans are taught that they are their own race (hence the term "La Raza, la conquista de Aztlan, etc.), so they are just regurgitating what they are taught. They don't know any different, most don't spend their time researching DNA, and/or the history of skin pigments.

As narrow as it sounds, I didn't understand why Hispanic wasn't considered a race until I was a young adult....for classifying purposes there typically are obvious differences between the average Mexican-American and the average White American, culturally, physically, linguistically, or otherwise.

For those who look at racial demographics when researching prospective neighborhoods to live in, how angry do you think someone looking to isolate themselves with, or from a particular racial/ethnic group would be when they find out the statistics didn't meet their perception? (not saying this type of thinking is right, but there are plenty of people out there who find this important).

Growing up in as diverse an environment as I did, segregation was still rampant. People tended to flock with their own kinds, the labels are visual even when they aren't always real.

I too believe we should all drop the labels, but if anything it looks as though segregation is a neverending story, in many areas of this country people are still separating themselves by race/ethnicity, either socially, verbally, by their actions, or residentially.

I don't think racial/ethnic pride has to do so much with isolation or self-segregation, but it might be that some feel that is their only defense or response against other groups doing it themselves.....like a shelter where one can hide and feel safe in brotherhood, a commonality shared amongst others that doesn't have to be earned.

OP, you can't legislate or indoctrinate intelligence. Just be happy with yourself.

Last edited by Count David; 03-30-2011 at 08:03 AM..