View Single Post

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
philwithbeard

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffffaaaaa1 View Post
...Still not sure where you guys do all your shopping. ...
Since you are new in town, I hope you won't be insulted if I offer you a To-Do list, and informational tidbits (read: trivia)

- Get a weekly copy of both Willamette Weekly and Portland's Mercury Press. Both are free 'street' newspapers; both are very snarky. There are several 2nd run movie theaters around Portland, go visit one, admission is cheap, and most sell a glass of beer to go with the salty popcorn.

- Did you know that the Lloyd Center is a shopping Mall? Go visit and walk around.

- Did you know that the Green & Yellow MAX line stop at Pioneer Courthouse is across the street from a nice small several floors shopping Mall? In the basement (excuse me, Lower Lever & overpriced food court) is one of the largest volume iPad-MAC stores in Oregon? Go price check a new iPhone.
For humor: mutter something about AT&T and how you hope Verizon is better, and watch just how quickly the salesperson drops into rote memorized speech....usually measured in milliseconds.

- Seek out REI outfitters in the Pearl. Seriously, don't take a credit card with you. This is clothing store is pricey. Status Symbol to wear REI.

- There are a couple of local sportswear clothing stores, go seek them out.

- Go to three clothing stores downtown:
- - Columbia Sportswear (downtown store is Columbia's flagship store in Portland. )
- - Mario's fashion wear (People can tell, business suits hang on you better)
- - And of course Nordstrom's
Note: I'm not suggesting you buy anything, I don't know your budget, and these are high end-ish stores.

- Your choice: visit Banana Republic or not, but hey you're right there anyway....

- Drive down I-5 from downtown at go visit the upscale shopping mall Bridgeport Village, in the 'burb of Durham, Exit 290?? This is THE mall for your basic ultra HIGH Maintenance significant other.

- Out by the Airport, is a small strip mall, and Portland's Ikea store. I am sure you know about Ikea already. (There is a Red line MAX stop 1/4 mile from Ikea, IIRC, but it may be a bit more.)

- Trader Joe's (All over town)
buy a bottle of 2-buck chuck wine (which, IIRC, this inexpensive table wine is now something like $3.00) You are paying for the quality you get, BTW; Google: vin ordinair

Do Google Target and WalMart, as Portland area does have them. They are, as you would expect, in the 'burbs, or close enough as it don't matter. Same useless junk.

How many visits have you made to Powell's on Burnside?? This is a must. And, while you are in the neighborhood, walk a block north on NW 10th and visit Penzey's spice store. Chicago Steak blended seasoning; Worth It.

- Bland, west coast family restaurants for you to seek out and try--
Elmer's (it's glue food, you fool; high carb breakfast food that finds its way to your hips.)
And Village Inn (it the PIES, and very inoffensive bland coffee.)

- I trust you can find the Outlet Malls around Portland all on your own. When the Jockey stores at the outlet malls have a sale on, it is worth the trip.

If you need more To Do items, come back--- others will flood you with their suggestions.

Phil