View Single Post

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
aries4118

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I agree with this in theory. The catch, however, is that to truly minimize rail transfers, all the proposed rail lines would have to be heavy rail. I don't think rail-rail transfers should be too bad as long as they schedule them properly, which is more doable under a consolidated, regional system.

No, only extensions on current lines would need to be heavy rail.

All other new lines can be light rail, because people would have to change lines at stations/transfer stations anyway. For right-of-way light rail in Atlanta, I prefer the light metro/medium-capacity system version (#1). For surface streets (ie Peachtree and Downtown streetcars), I prefer the streetcar/tram/trolley version of light rail (#2).

1. Medium-capacity rail transport system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Tram and light-rail transit systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example, the Belt Line can be light rail (tram or light metro)...it will cross the heavy rail blue and green lines at the new Cabbagetown Station (as well as other stations).

A light rail line (light metro!) from Gwinnett, through Tucker, Northlake, Leafmore, Emory, and Cheshire Bridge would cross the gold and red lines at the new Armour Valley Station (as well as other stations). This light rail line would then continue on to/through Brookwood, Atlantic Station, Hemphill Circle, West Midtown, on down to Grand Five Points.