View Single Post

Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
aries4118

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Don't forget, though, that if the Cobb line is light rail (which it will most likely be), then that would require a connection to heavy rail, probably at or near Arts Center. By contrast, it would be theoretically possible to go nonstop from somewhere in Cobb County to the airport, were the line to be all heavy rail. Same goes for the Clifton Road corridor.

Well, I am also imagining that the Cobb County light rail segment (light metro) I would come down on the western edge and not need to connect directly to Arts Center. It would be a light rail corridor that would come down through Northside Drive, Hemphill Circle, West Midtown, Northyards, Olympic Park and on to Grand Five Points. This light rail segment would then continue on through Castleberry Hill, Whitehall, Mechanicsville/Pittsburgh, Peoplestown, and then down the eastside of the Connector on to the Airport. There is already a railroad right-of-way for this--for everything north of Peoplestown.

The Clifton Corridor line (light rail/light metro), would connect to this line after leaving Armour Valley by way of Brookwood and Atlantic Station.
The light rail segment would also split off after Whitehall and continue east (along the southside of I-20) through Turner Field/Summerhill, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, Ormewood Park/East Atlanta, South Point (a renamed South DeKalb Mall area), etc. As you know, there is already a railroad right-of-way for the Clifton Corridor.

Take a look a this map for some reference to what I'm talking about.

http://www.cfpt.org/documents/worldclass_map.pdf