View Single Post

Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM
livecontent

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Well, onward with my goal of providing information and I hold my tongue to reply to some posts that are....well, I will leave my opinions on hold for now.

To live car fee or car less one must choose location that not only have good public transportation but good essential stores nearby. It is important that the stores provide the basic needs of everyday life that would be a grocery, a full line retail, a hardware; not only some overpriced fluff stores that only serve a limited need to some, and no need for many. Quick Access to Medical care is a big plus.

Saying all that I can talk about many neighborhoods that are served by bus that can be more of a complete neighborhood with close walkable stores. However, what I want to talk about on this post is the best rail station in the Denver area.

I have been to all the rail station, got off and looked around and are familiar with them. These are my opinions, take them or leave them. I will talk about other stations, on other posts, because this stations is so outstanding that that I have to write more, and the post will be to long.

The best rail station is the Englewood Station on the Southwest Line That is because it has a Grocery,King Soopers, a Walmart and a vast assortment of other shops, all with walkable distance. There are great shops on Broadway in walkable neighborhood which was the original main street of Englewood. It has a wonderful Army and Navy Store and the biggest and best store for us big and tall—Kaufmans.

The Englewood Library is right at the edge of the stop. This area is the first Transit Oriented Development (TOD) built in Denver on the site of the old Cinderella City Mall. It has many new apartment but expensive on the site, right next to the station but many reasonable all around Englewood.

It has numerous feeder buses that run late and often, in addition the Broadway Bus, Route 0, is a main bus that runs, almost 24 hrs. and can take you through many good neighborhoods, like Baker to the north and to Downtown, for additional shopping, with newer stores south on Broadway toward Highland Ranch, where the Route 0 ends.

Also the Englewood station is served by a free shuttle, called the ART City of Englewood : art Circulator Shuttle that runs through Englewood, past Swedish Hospital, medical Clinics and many Senior Centers and a Senior Recreation Center.

There is also a Safeway nearby. Englewood is very small and dense, so that the whole city is well served by public transit. It is really an ideal place for Seniors to live with the good medical Access to Swedish. Living near this area, that is Hampden and Broadway, means you will never have to own a car and can walk or take a short bus ride to all services and amenities that is stores, groceries and medical services. This old established neighborhood really reminds me of some old neighborhoods in NYC and Jersey with a good selection of long established shops and good public transit.

Enough for now,

Livecontent