View Single Post

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM
nei

45,983 posts, read 53,690,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No? From this very thread:
The neighborhood memph listed as most would consider urban did your criteria listed. And I explained it further detail later.

Quote:
Not to mention, here are things that have been said about the suburbs on this forum:

Sterile
Cookie-cutter houses
No sidewalks
No public transportation
No jobs, have to commute to the city
No commercial enterprises, have to drive to the city

Suburban Lifestyle
Boring
Vapid
No sense of community
No farmer's markets
Materialistic, "Keep up with the Joneses"
Selfish
Immoral

Even when we suburbanites disprove those things, the urbanistas come on and say, "I meant not enough public transportation", "the farmer's markets aren't as good as those in the city", blah, blah, blah ad infinitum.
Everyone who grew up there had a horrible childhood (to believe what you read on CD)
Some places have much better public transportation than others. People type fast, use hyperbole. If the suburbs where a poster is from don't have sidewalks, why would they say otherwise?

Anyway what does all the "defend suburbia" have to do with the thread? We were discussing what it takes from a place to feel "urban"? Must we go to "defend suburbia". There have been posters (not as often the anti-suburb posters, I'll admit) that have made hyperbolic comments about cities, too though I have no interest in listing them.

Anyhow, since I feel that was totally off-topic, and you complained elsewhere that people weren't that interested in discussing rural (I agree, but what would you expect in an urban planning forum) I'll add my own off-topic I think is much more interesting. Let us all look pretty photo rural places (all taken by ME! )

Now, let us all argue whether the 2nd photo is urban, suburban or rural.