View Single Post

Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 AM
nicsma2002

350 posts, read 1,411,929 times
In our experience yes, Miami is a family-friendly city, and you may find you have a good experience here.

We find lots of little league / peewee sports of all kinds, plenty of child-centered community events, and educational attractions. In our case, we attend a very child-centered, family-friendly church and our life pretty much revolves around our 5-year-old’s preschool, play dates, and what I call our “field trips.” A lot of what we do is free or low cost. It’s out there, you just have to know where to look. For example, we recently attended a fabulous children’s performance at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts (Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County (http://www.carnivalcenter.org/ - broken link)) by the Cleveland Philharmonic – it was a 1-hour introduction to Mozart with mimes that was really funny and entertaining. It only cost $15 per ticket. We are also members at several attractions for kids to cut down on costs. Here are some of our favorite outings:

- Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science - Florida, USA. Ft Lauderdale, FL.
- Miami Science Museum The Dinosaurs of China - Miami Science Museum
- Young at Art Museum in Davie Young At Art Children's Museum
- Strawberry picking at Knauss Berry Farm GoCityKids Miami/Ft. Lauderdale | Knauss Berry Farm
- Crandon Park Beach, which our son loves because at low tide it’s only a few inches deep in most areas and he can run from sand bar to sand bar pretending they are islands GoCityKids Miami/Ft. Lauderdale | Crandon Park Beach & Family Amusement Center
- Public libraries offer story and craft time for little ones
- There’s also the Youth Fair Welcome and Santa’s Enchanted Forest Nov.-Dec. Santas Enchanted Forest - Open Nov. 8th though Jan. 09th, but these can get expensive.
- Aventura Mall during December is great for little kids – train ride, etc. and their play area is always open year-round of course Rainbow Valley Playground (http://aventuramall.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemi d=51 - broken link)
- Playgrounds everywhere
- I hear great things about the JCC’s out there, too.

There’s lots more out there. It helps if you plug in to one of the many mommy groups. The Miami Lila Guide can help you there Miami, FL Baby Stores - Miami, FL Baby Shops - Miami, FL Kids. There are pockets of homeschoolers, stay-at-home moms, working moms, etc. who band together to form their own networks. You just have to find your niche.

I don’t know about the price of renting in our neighborhood, which is very family-friendly and a short commute to Jackson where your husband might be, but I do know there are about 150 houses for sale right now and about 50 of them are foreclosures, might be able to get a deal there, not sure. Also, the elementary schools in our neighborhood have both been A-rated for years and there are also plenty of private schools to choose from.

I wouldn’t say Miami or our situation is perfect by any means, but we find lots of options here for our family. DM me if you want more info.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote