View Single Post

Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Pine to Vine

7,529 posts, read 10,315,227 times
As a recently relocated long term resident of Houston, I really think Houston is a sleeping giant. I realize this will confound some on CD who feel that size and growth alone determine the importance and quality of a city and by all measures, Houston is booming by leaps and bounds . . . but stay with me. I am talking about the "maturity" and QOL of a city. Houston is a developers' paradise and believe it or not, has no zoning. It has only been within the last 10 years the city has begun to take a serious look at how it has grown. It may amaze some to realize that there are neighborhoods within sight of downtown that have no curbs and poor sidewalks, if any: Google Maps. It is not uncommon to have ditches for drainage in the inner core of the city, even in tonier neighborhoods such as Montrose: Brun Street, Houston, TX - Google Maps. The strong developer culture has resulted in one of the least restrictive historical preservation ordinances in the country, and it stalled rail transit for decades, resulting in the sprawling 600 square mile behemoth with the largely suburban character it has today.

Fast forward however. The city thought leaders along with a cadre of progressive politicos today recognize that QOL, not just COL is important factor in a city's attractiveness. Significant changes, such as the building of a rail system, are underway and city visions focus on making the inner city more attractive and dense in an attempt to appeal to those who prefer this model of urbanity. Without zoning, changes such as this will continue to be a challenge, but at least an understanding exists of what Houston can be. If Houston's visionaries can stick to their guns and start to wrest control of the city's future back from a handful of developers and others who only see it as a source of personal profit, given its strong economy, port, and world class arts organizations, the puzzle pieces are there for the sleeping giant to awaken and be a city known for more than the oil industry and its low cost of living.