View Single Post

Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Desert kid

3,379 posts, read 5,022,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about schools in California? What will you study in grad school?

Don't think about how much ground you feel you've lost, or how easy your sister has it. You have no idea how that will work out for her in the long run. What you're learning from these experiences is: to have inner strength, and to persevere against all odds. These will pay off later in life. Just stay focussed on your schoolwork, and work on your issues (like the resentment you feel toward dad and sis, for one, and the trauma you went through regarding your granma). Above all, look forward, not back. The past is done, you need to keep moving forward.
I don't know about California, place doesn't appeal to me, sorry Ruth. I'm trying my best, I get a little disheartened sometimes. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What is your chosen major?

What does your dad want you to major in?

Just curious...
It was nursing at first in 2007, dad forced me into that "your going to college to get a job that makes good money" he said, thus my college years began at the age of 16. I was terrible at nursing, I didn't want to be in it, I failed the CNA program and it is still a blight on my records. I changed over to history, and for 3 solid years that went very well.

Then around 2010 I graduated and walked with my class, got sent my degree in the mail only to learn that the Universities I was applying to back then (NAU and UA) were not accepting it. Turns out the CC I was going to forwarded me my degree by mistake, dad all of a sudden didn't like my history degree and bugged me relentlessly for months on how useless and godawful it was.

Didn't help by the end of the year we were forcefully moved from the house by the government (lucky us, we restored a HUD, we get to move into it). And I'm spinning my wheels in my final math class that is giving me trouble, one afternoon in April 2011 he comes home fuming pissed off from his Administration job at the city he sees me sitting at the computer and calls me a useless M-F'ing POS this-and-that with a POS useless major, I tell him where to stuff his opinion, and we pretty much shout the F-word at each other until the early morning hours where it all ends with a "NO HISTORY BULL****!!! CHANGE YOUR MAJOR! NOW!!!", I was unconfident and emotionally drained from the whole thing, didn't help I was into a girl that didn't like me back and I had a sweet little encounter with her earlier in the day.

We battle again a few months later when I fail the class, and it ends with me moving in with my grandma, getting no emotional support for the whole thing and not passing the math class again. Grandma had alzheimers, night terrors and everything. In 2012, a friend of mine dies, and I don't take it well. I pass the math class, get my degree and a couple weeks later grandma dies.

Here I am now, going to the same CC, but the CC now is an ASU satellite campus and I'm less than a year away from my BA in IDS (Interdisciplinary Studies, business basically). And I want to get back into history for graduate school. And as I said above dad doesn't want me going to Mississippi or Tennessee, Texas, etc (N*ggerville, as he puts it).