View Single Post

Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Charles

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvgirl View Post
Our small street consists of about 15 homes with about 9 of those homes having children from preschool age to teens. My child is in grade school and has about 8 children in his grade in the neighborhood and at least that many just above and below. The homes with children far outnumber those without.
This is great information, I love numbers. Thank you for providing this. We should check it out then. The gated/ safety thing isn't that important to us but the Ledges is just another place we should check out for additional choices. Right now (and this should be a topic for another thread), everything we've seen in Hampton Cove has been pretty nice on the outside and for the most part in the neighborhoods. That is, we are ruling out any sloped or hilly nieghborhoods. The exterior of the homes is fine.

The biggest problems we're having is the layout of the homes as we've seen them on the internet (we haven't been in any yet). It seems every home we've seen has all sorts of useless or redundant rooms:
Sitting room in the master bedroom. Who ever uses one of these?

Formal Dining Room: I'd bet 90% of people use a FDR no more than five days per year. Another wasted room. Unfortuneately it's almost impossible to buy a home without a formal dining room. Probably the result of market research based on peoples perceptions of what they want. Just got to have a formal dining room to put in your fine china cabinet. People have these visions of entertaining when they buy a home (that's why just about every listed house description you read has something like "entertain your guests" or "great for entertaining".)

Second master bedroom. Ya right, like one out of a thousand people needs one of these.

Keeping room. What is a keeping room? Another wasted room to put furniture that no one ever sits on. Some people even cover this furniture with plastic.

Formal Living Room (when there is a great room). See above about a room full of expensive furniture with fancy pillows on it and other things grandma likes to look at but never use. Even if you don't play one, you could stick a grand piano in there just for looks.

Upstairs family room (when there is already a downstairs family room). Another wasted room. How many family rooms does someone need?

Parlor, In 2008?

Does anyone really ever sit in here? I can just hear: "Don't touch.", "Don't touch.", "Don't touch."
http://www.ncentral.com/%7Etowers/images/LivingRoom.jpg (broken link)
(image not protected by copyright)

This would be OK if I could rest my feet on the table and I could I eat and surf the net at the same time. Where do I throw my pizza boxes and crusts in here? Oh, notice they covered the $5000 wood flooring with a $200 rug.

(image not protected by copyright)

Last edited by Charles; 05-24-2008 at 10:14 AM..