View Single Post

Old 06-19-2015, 06:37 AM
jtur88

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Gross.

Double GROSS. Yeah, it's a different diary product alright - it's a rotten dairy product. Not yogurt, not cheese. Rotted milk.

I'm not so desperate to eat rotten food.
I don't understand why everybody has this huge hangup over milk. Maybe there is something special about the bargain brand of milk I get at WalMart, but I doubt it. If you are careful not to contaminate the milk in the jug (like by drinking from the jug) and keep the lid on tight, there will be no extraneous organisms in there to spoil it. After a month or so, even pasteurized milk willl clabber. It gets lumpy and acquires a sour, but not necessarily unpleasant taste which can be overcome by adding a sweetener if you wish. Nearly all packaged breakfast cereals contain so much sugar, clabbered milk will be perfectly fine, if tangy, on your cereal. Drinking a nice cold glass full of it might need a spoon of suger, a dash of molasses, or something to make more in tune with your tastes. If you bake with it, you don't even need to use baking powder, the clabbered milk will lift your dough. Perfect for French toast, too, mixed with the egg. A few things it's not so good for, like mashed potatoes.

Clabbered milk is an important component in most traditional cultures -- before there was refrigeration, milk was consumed fresh only a few hours after milking, and then a starter was added to it to clabber it quickly.. I first encountered it in Romania, where at about 9 am, the milk merchants would clabber the unsold milk, and sell it with a wonderful deep fried sugared scone, and everyone took a break from work at about ten, when the lapte bahut was ready from street vendors.

I now actually look forward to the last of a jug of milk clabbering, it makes a nice diversion in my everyday breakfast routine.