View Single Post

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Katarina Witt

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I don't think that 6000 sqft and efficiency belong in the same sentence. It's a little overkill don't you think?

People that live in cities inherently use less than their suburban counterparts, but that's not my argument... I want a more responsible city to take place. Rail, walkability, small business, local/regional resources, all need to be a part of our new suburban/node development.
They tend to be part of it now. Are you familiar with our suburbs? It's not Texas. Virtually all the burbs except Castle Rock are served by the RTD (public transportation). YOu can google it and see the map. I take a dim view of people using terms like "responsible" when talking about these issues. "Responsible" is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
My agenda? I just want people to re-examine their impact locally, regionally, and so on. As a society I think we can do better.

It's a fact that city dweller/urbanites use less energy. I'll dig that info up here in a little bit.

When I refer to node I am not implying that inward sprawl would be occurring... we need to understand that cities work best in certain increments... once the city is full... that's it... move to the next node... the nodes are connected by an infrastructure (i.e. Fastracks). The suburbs we have now will simply act as nodes along an infrastructure, but they will need to be bulked up with more/different businesses... and better housing... housing worth holding onto.

Denver is going to work much better for me than Houston ever could.
I"d be interested in seeing that. My daughter lives in the city. She currently drives 15 miles to Aurora to classes at the Health Sciences Center. When she moved into her apt., the HSC was about 5 miles away from her home. That's the way it goes. You find a place close to your job/school, and then it moves. Other than utilities, b/c she is in a 2 BR apt, I doubt she uses any less energy than any of us in our home in Louisville do individually. In fact, if you divide our utility use by 3 (for the number of people in our house), even that is probably the same.

Why more/different businesses in the 'burbs? What we have now has been sufficient for my family for 25 years. We rarely go to Denver, except to visit our daughter. Malls get a bad rap, too, but involve less travel than driving to a bunch of individual stores. Of course, some new businesses would be great, too. But I don't think we're lacking for businesses to take care of our daily needs presently.

What makes you think the present housing is bad and not worth holding on to? We have owned the same house for 19 years. Most suburbanites do not move every couple years to a bigger, more ostentatious house.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-25-2008 at 10:30 PM..