View Single Post

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
torontocheeka

854 posts, read 587,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Did you read the first article or any of the others?

Neither Dearborn nor Hamtramck have Muslim mayors, but other cities and towns do, where there are hardly Muslim majority populations. One of the articles does point out, however, that Hamtramck has a Muslim-majority population, as does Dearborn, and it's had the Muslim call to prayer 5 times per day for years. There are Muslim elected officials throughout the country. New York Public Schools now recognizes a couple of Muslim holidays. In the Metro Detroit suburbs where I used to live, Jewish holidays were official school holidays as well, and had been for years. Etc, etc, etc.

Where does any of this occur in Canada? I am Canadian, as well as American, btw, and a child of immigrants, so I, too, am quite aware of the differences between the two countries. Canadians are not less "racist" than Americans in any way, shape, or form.

Have you ever lived outside of the GTA? Even in another city in Ontario?

I have lived outside of Toronto. I have family from my paternal side (who I don't talk to anymore) that live in Montreal. I have read about how St. John's is the "Mississippi of the North."

Again, I never said Canada was perfect.

I asked very pointedly how joining America and importing in their problems (which I definitely do believe are worse there for minorities, but it depends on what matters to you, if it's social acceptance, personal safety, or money-making potential) would help improve our own situation. What would we get out of it? No one has been able to answer that question.