View Single Post

Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 PM
aries4118

16,736 posts, read 29,676,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Here's a silly idea. They should just take the 5 counties, and incorporate/combine everything to become one city of Atlanta, with 5 counties/boroughs, like NYC did. Dissolve all the other cities, and make them all neighborhoods of Atlanta. Give everything an Atlanta address, with city-provided services.

Then I believe we'd be the second largest city proper in the country, behind only NYC.

Also it would solve a lot of our regional dysfunction type problems. Transit, being the big one. And other, less tangible cultural battles and discord would be diminished if not eliminated. And the Braves would be in Atlanta again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Even then we would be #3 (if we just consolidated Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Cobb, and Clayton) with 3,698,404 residents, just behind Los Angeles with 3,971,883 residents. That would be a MASSIVE city though. Aside from the obvious political improbability of that, it would be a logistical nightmare to manage as we have spent some many years building disparate systems to manage everything in the counties.

I'm not opposed to the borough idea however, though I would limit it just to the City of Atlanta and Dekalb County along with the Tri-Cities and maybe Sandy Springs/Dunwoody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Nobody has done that. The new cities have all been neighborhoods (with the exception of South Fulton which just took everything)-Milton, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, Stonecrest.

Atlanta metro would be better off if Sandy Springs, Brookhaven and much of DeKalb ITP were part of the city of Atlanta, but that ship has sailed. Without Sandy Springs and Brookhaven, I wouldn't want to be part of Atlanta. It wouldn't encompass a broad enough group to avoid being parochial like it is now, just like a lot of you inner Atlantans accuse everyone else of being.

I've liked the idea of a much-expanded City of Atlanta with boroughs for a long time now. But in this case, when I think about boroughs, I am thinking more London, less NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_boroughs

Here is what should happen (or should've happened):

City of Atlanta annexes...

Sandy Springs
North Springs
Dunwoody
current Brookhaven
North Druid Hills
Toco Hills
Oak Grove/Vista Grove
Leafmore
Lindmoor Woods
LaVista Park
Laurel Ridge
North Decatur
Scottdale
Vinings/Cumberland
Riverline
Six Flags
Emory
the rest of Druid Hills
Candler-McAfee
most of Belvedere Park
Gresham Park
Constitution/Intrenchment Creek
Fulton Industrial
Sandtown
Cliftondale
Campbellton
Chattahoochee Hills/Rico

Then, City of Atlanta becomes conterminous with Fulton County. (City of Atlanta, County of Fulton is one and the same). Fulton County north of Chattahoochee is divided between Cobb (Roswell, Alpharetta, Mountain Park), Forsyth (Milton), and Gwinnett (Johns Creek). The rest of southern Fulton County is divided between Clayton (Hapeville, East Point, College Park, unincorporated College Park), Fayette (Fairburn, Union City), and Coweta (Palmetto).

Finally, the City of Atlanta (Fulton County) is divided into 17 boroughs...

1. Terminus (Downtown, Sweet Auburn, Oakland, Capitol Gateway, Buttermilk Bottom, Summerhill, Mechanicsville, Thrasherville, Castleberry Hill, Luckie-Marietta, Whitehall)
2. North Fulton (Midtown, Ansley Park, Piedmont Heights, Cheshire Bridge, Martin Manor, Loring Heights, GT, Atlantic Station, Home Park)
3. East Fulton (the eastside neighborhoods)
4. West Fulton (the westside neighborhoods
5. South Fulton (the southside neighborhoods)
6. Buckhead
7. Northeast Atlanta (the current urban/suburban-esque neighborhoods in N/NW DeKalb)
8. Cross Keys (the current Brookhaven...Cross Keys is actually a better name and historically accurate...this also solves the Brookhaven neighborhood in Buckhead issue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookh...eorgia#History)
9. Sandy Springs
10. Dunwoody
11. Vinings
12. Chattahoochee Vale (the current Riverline+Six Flags area of Cobb and Fulton Industrial)
13. Southwest Atlanta
14. Sandtown
15. Cliftondale
16. Campbellton
17. Chattahoochee Hills

Except for Terminus, the boroughs are also "twinned"

North Fulton-South Fulton
East Fulton-West Fulton
Buckhead-Sandtown
Northeast Atlanta-Southwest Atlanta
Sandy Springs-Cliftondale
Cross Keys-Campbellton
Dunwoody-Chattahoochee Hills
Vinings-Chattahoochee Vale (paired together as the far northwest boroughs)