View Single Post

Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 PM
waltchan

1,355 posts, read 1,964,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The 2.4L I4 in that is pretty anemic for that class/size vehicle. We test drove one way back in 2009 and decided to spend a little more for the 6 cyl. Granted the vehicle is much more refined now but the I4 hasn't improved much.

Ours... now has 120k on it....

Brakes required a bit more maintenance and seemed undersized. We've replaced components frequently..
Heater core is blocked... passenger side and rear heat doesn't work well anymore
Build quality issues here and there.. especially in the interior.
Wheel bearings will need to be replaced soon... expected for 100k+

Other than that, it has been pretty good to us... the 3rd row is tight but comes in handy when we have visitors.

Toyota's in a similar class is going to be a lot more reliable and probably go a lot further. I understand we are talking purchase cost here but a smart buyer is going to consider total cost of ownership. The dodge journey was one of the few cars we ever bought brand new... we usually buy cars for well under 15k. My experience has been that at this budget, buying used offers some significant benefits.
2009 Dodge Journey was a first-year, new model design, and most-troublesome in Journey's history. Please stay loyal to buying a brand-new Dodge Journey again, as reliability has improved dramatically today, and shrink down to near zero problem today since 2011 model year, after Chrysler already fixed all the initial-design problems (including brakes).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Journey/

Today, new 2019 Dodge Journey has been more-reliable than 2019 Toyota RAV4 and 2017 Honda CR-V, very surprisingly. There is such thing as cheap and reliable, due to Journey's simple-design to begin with. Dodge Journey is a lot more-reliable vehicle than what you think it is, regardless of the bad reviews you hear by media. Do NOT believe what they say. Carcomplaints.com is most-accurate. It's a proven vehicle for fleets and commercial-use drivers for over a decade now that stands the test of time. Both engines are fuel-injection, no direct-injection, no turbo.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

2019 Dodge Journey is the final-model year with V6 engine. Starting with 2020 model year, all Journeys are powered with 4-cylinder/4-speed automatic only.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-05-2019 at 11:43 PM..