View Single Post

Old 05-14-2020, 10:58 AM
GhostOfAndrewJackson

1,417 posts, read 735,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
Has anyone ever met someone they could have been in a relationship with but due to genuine reasons you could not be with that person at that time due to reasons such as employment, mental health issues, bereavement etc. Did you ever cross paths with that person years later and get together once the issues had been resolved?
Since the passing of the love of my life, the romantic end of some previous relationships have rekindled. Those relationships were previously terminated by mutual agreement as we were not an intrinsic matches in terms of lifelong partners. A few of the reasons relationships were terminated are: drug use, alcohol abuse, a woman who wanted a career outside the home, being pro-choice, history of mental illness in the family, lifestyle differences, financial differences, career pursuits, hereditary disease, IQ, innate temperment.

Understand though, I am in my mid-late 50s, and that substantially alters the equation. In each case the passing of the years has made the issues that were the cause of our departure more or less irrelevant since we would both be beyond our child rearing years and there would be no negative effects on children or family which was the original concern. These were relationships where the personal chemistry was strong and the feelings sincere, but other considerations led to the decision to part company. In each case, however, we did remain lifetime, non-romantic, friends.

My associated commentary is, physical chemistry seldom dissipates. However I will also state in each case, in reflection to how our mutual lives unfolded, we made the correct decision to part company and walk separate paths through most of out life. Our lives will remain separate even as we step together toward that shared inextricable destiny we all ultimately face.

So I would say, as long as you depart a relationship on a positive note and their was innate chemistry in the first place, the odds of that old spark igniting again is fairly high if you feed the fire and fan the flame a bit.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 05-14-2020 at 11:07 AM..