View Single Post

Old 08-25-2020, 05:34 AM
jean_ji

3,651 posts, read 2,490,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Gadolinium is also used to detect abnormal cerebral spinal fluid pockets, such as arachnoid cyst. I understood that gadolinium has a half-life that leaves the body via urine in 24 hours. When I read the detailed side effects, I wasn't comfortable with it. It also wasn't necessary.

Have there been any new conclusions regarding repeat injections of gadolinium? It's been used for 20+ years. If there's a patterned side-effect of related or permanent consequence, should that be apparent by now?
Many drugs have been used for years before problems surface, proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec, is one of the latest ones. Even with it, there is controversy over whether it should still be used. Anecdotal events I have seen include a patient who had annual CT scans with contrast for many years as follow ups for her medical condition. The patient never had a problem with the contrast until they had a full blown anaphylactic reaction that took everyone by surprise. It can happen and does. The odds are higher with the CT contrast than the MRI contrast, but signed consent are required for both.

It all comes down to risk versus benefit with medical procedures and prescription medicines. There is always risk for an adverse event happening. For most people there will not be a problem, but there may be for others. It’s a discussion that needs to be had between the patient and their doctor.

When having an MRI, or any diagnostic imaging procedures, check that the facility being used is certified by the ACR (American College of Radiology). This means the radiologist and technologists have met the requirements the ACR requires for better image quality and safety. Don’t assume all facilities are certified. The certified ones may still not be perfect, but at least some standards are being met. Don’t assume all hospitals are certified either. They should be, but check and make sure.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-25-2020 at 05:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote