View Single Post

Old 08-10-2023, 04:28 PM
albert648

8,181 posts, read 2,819,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
You need "freedom of movement" because you are always trying to escape where you are.
You can only escape into "shared space" - and apparently you can do nothing more than travel through it on pre-determined paths.
What's ironic is that given that gasoline is about $12/gallon in Europe, and cars cost a lot more than here, he enjoys virtually no "freedom of movement". He's only "free" to move about in ways that are predetermined for him by some government bureaucrat.

As it turns out, even in my American suburban subdivision, I'm free to move about anytime I like, on my own schedule, and go anywhere I like, without being beholden to a government bureaucracy.

Quote:
That streetscape you showed looks like concrete/masonry bunker housing. There is very little green there at all. You might find it appealing because you aren't actually there. You are always leaving to go elsewhere. Possibly another major cultural difference.
Agreed. Also, maybe he's always leaving to go elsewhere because he's not happy where he is.

Quote:
I can walk out the front or back door and into exclusive, non-shared space filled with plants and trees.
Or go seek out a shared space when you want. As it turns out, people who have exclusive, non-shared spaces have the option of also enjoying shared spaces when they want.

Quote:
I don't need to "escape" to some other location. I am not confined to simply being an observer of someone else's space as you are. I can actually enjoy where I am. I have the ability and right to alter it or improve it as I wish. Calling a subdivision a "prison" is laughable when you prop this streetscape as something you would prefer.
Yep. Even more laughable when the airborne concrete boxes he wants to force everyone to live in much more closely resembles a prison than any suburban subdivision anywhere in the world.