View Single Post

Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 369,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I travel, a lot. Things here might be OKAY here, but elsewhere, they are bad and worse then bad. Get a on plane, rent a car and go see for yourselves if you do not believe me. The economic data all indicating an economic slump not seen since 1933 does not lie. Our economy is shrinking by 5% per quarter and going to get worse, much worse in fact. And while the Triangle is shielded to some extent, we are not immune and will get out fair share of medicine in this mess.

Things I have personally seen:

Boarded neighborhoods in Vegas, miles of them. Cary-style cookie cutter subdivisions boarded up

Half built homes in So. California, Nevada and Florida

Tent cities cropping up in So. California, people living in cars, trailers, and so on.

500 plus applicants to jobs paying over $8 an hour in most areas across the country. Jobs that used to require recruitment.

So Beaver Creek has a few cars in it. Sorry, this does not mean all will be fine and dandy. I still say we are very soon going to be in the mysts of a major depression.
I'm still confused why folks cling to the notation "we'll do better here"?

To keep real growth in an economy in any isolated location you need true growth in revenue being brought in that economy. To do that you need goods and services being produced that bring in that revenue. So what is produce here that can't be and won't be eventually off shored? I think in the last five maybe ten years those types jobs have all ready been in an decline (recession) here in the Triangle.

What's worse is that when and that I think will maybe be two to three years out things slowly recovery those type of jobs WON'T!

So how are we here going to be better off ?