View Single Post

Old 05-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Neutre

983 posts, read 3,602,602 times
Thumbs up race - ethnicity - culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I mostly agree with you. I live in the Chicago area( suburbs to be exact) and I never met a hispanic that call themselves white, they are proud to be hispanic/latino. I remember meeting a Cuban that had blue eyes, light skin with visible Spainard ancestries. Anyway, he is originally from Miami. Even though he have strong Spainard straits, he consider himself hispanic, and not white.

Its somewhat the same with Arabs. I know technically alot of them are white and are included as white on the census, but in most cases they are not seen as white in American society. Alot of Arabs(especially those of Palestine descent) said it themselves that they don't consider themselves as white.
I also know Russians who don't consider themselves white, even though they're of much lighter complexion than Spaniards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You can check off White and Hispanic or Black and Hispanic.

When US racial categories were set up, there was a conception of groups being "fixed" (in the case of Hispanic ethnicity this was always inaccurate). The increasing multiracial nature of US society has made these concepts obsolete.

FWIW, many French Caribbean mixed race immigrants DETEST being referred to as black, mainly because they didn't grow up in African-American culture and they're not considered black in their homelands. One could make a case for African-American being an ethnicity/culture rather than a race.
Exactly. One could also make a case for White being an ethnicity/culture rather than race. In fact, the boundary between race and ethnicity in America is pretty blurred, something that is quite inevitable. This is why I don't blame those who call Hispanic or Latino a race, although technically speaking it's not. Similarly, Asian is in some ways closer to ethnicity than race in the classical sense.

Saludos