View Single Post

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM
tahiti

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Maybe that's just Newark. I haven't found the people up here in Bergen County to be any worse (or better) than people anywhere else in the nation, and I've been all over.

I'm very friendly towards people, and the vast majority of the time they are friendly back, both here in NJ and everywhere else. I can't help but think that most, if not all, of the people who whine about "NJ the official land of a**holes" carry that attitude with them all over Jersey, and can't help but show it (no matter how much they think they are hiding it). Not surprisingly, in turn they are met with the same crappy attitude. Well, not surprising to me, but I'm sure they are surprised by it, thinking they've effectively hidden their crappy attitude and that it's always the other person who's the a**hole. Negativity breeds negativity, but some people just never learn that.

Also, I've noticed that those who promote this mentality that a state makes people to be generally a**holes, tend to be the blamers. They're the ones who blame everything and everyone else for their misery, and they're the ones who most complain about everything and anything else. Basically, the whiners and complainers and the blamers. They never take responsibility for themselves, it's always someone else's fault.
You know, this got me thinking. The first time I went to Utah, I found the people to be not quite unfriendly, but distant and cold (if not a bit odd) would be how I'd put it. I was in my early 20's, and I probably had some preconceived notions on the whole mormon thing, and I'm willing to own up to the fact that it was possibly *my* demeanor that set the tone. Doesn't help that I was pretty shy back then too.

Good observation!