U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 PM

11,432 posts, read 18,150,980 times

Advertisements

Earlier today, I posted the same question in 3 different forums because I wanted to ask about Airport Security measures in their respective countries. I received a warning that cross-posting is not allowed. Why is not allowed? What harm does it do? What is this practice trying to prevent?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:52 AM

8,955 posts, read 4,046,838 times
The forums are organized for local issues. This rule is mainly against people, who are undecided as to where they want to move. We often get the same message in many different forums, while the best place to ask about cross-state issues is either one of the general forums or General US.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM

24,414 posts, read 45,301,532 times
Another side issue is that when someone posts the same inquiry in multiple forums, sometimes many forums, they are wasting the time of people like me who have taken the time, thousands of times, to post honest sincere replies.

I won't waste my time by replying to people who are on fishing expeditions and are too lazy to use the search tool and find the threads that answer their questions.

Posters who "can't decide" between numerous cities or states have no business posting, they need to first define who they are, what they have to offer employers in a new city, what they want in a location, what appeals to them, etc. They are nowhere near ready to pick up and move anywhere. Many are running away from their current location or situation. People who don't take the time to figure out their requirements, and state them, do not deserve much of our time.

I put these words in the TOS to help people who are new to this site: "When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know.""

I've booted a few people who post that "tell me everything" crap and then get irritated when I close their threads as being too broad, too vague or would require an entire book. For example, Denver is a big city with a metro area of 3M people and there's no way anyone can tell them "everything" about it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum