U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM

6,490 posts, read 12,169,586 times

Advertisements

Does the "My settings: Latest reputation received" show 100% of ALL reputation points and reputation comments someone got since they joined city-data.com?

Or does it show only show a certain amount and has a limit to the number of reputation points received that it shows?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM

8,955 posts, read 3,913,194 times
Well, the latest reputation received shows the latest reputation received. I'm sorry but...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,733,195 times
I think the question might be about reputation comments rather than reputation points. Those do drop off eventually; I don't know what the capacity is, but the oldest rep comment I have is from December 2010, even though I've been around here (and getting rep comments) much, much longer than that.

The points, though, stay with you permanently. Or at least nowadays they do - a few years back, it used to be possible for members to give out negative reps that did take points away, but that function has been gone for a long time now.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM

Not precisely. The "latest rep" will show up in your profile everything that was done via the scales icon. Look at your own page: if someone decided to leave the comment box empty, it will still show there, the points only with no comment. The [+] link actions, OTOH, don't show anywhere except your rep total.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Not precisely. The "latest rep" will show up in your profile everything that was done via the scales icon. Look at your own page: if someone decided to leave the comment box empty, it will still show there, the points only with no comment. The [+] link actions, OTOH, don't show anywhere except your rep total.
Really? I'm surprised by that. I thought the points that came from the [+] link showed up in comments as "Quick-reputation" if they were from a logged-in member, or else in the "Latest Reputation Received From Guests" part of my user control panel if they came from someone not logged in. Interesting; I learned something new today.

I'm also intrigued by what you seem to imply that all the rep comments I've gotten are still out there somewhere. Where are they hiding? Is there another page hidden somewhere? I've never been able to see more than a few months' worth at a time.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM

No, you're right and I'm wrong about the quick reputation, I'm sorry.

But I implied that all your reputation POINTS are still there: you can see them as the number total of your points. The comments are also stored but can only be accessed via the mod panel.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Well, the latest reputation received shows the latest reputation received. I'm sorry but...
I am glad to see you are back on city-data!

Yeah, I know that feature shows the most recent reputation received.

But does it also show 100% of all the reputation points/comments I got in my city-data account history since I joined city-data? Or does it show only a specific certain amount of reputation points/comments in my city-data account history?

Also, I know the actual reputation points always stay. I am referring instead to the content of the reputation points such as which posts/threads of mine I got the reputation points for, the website links to them, and also the reputation points where I got rep comments.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 PM

It does show 100% of your history until it's too long to fit in there. I don't know the cutting point: 80 positions? 100? Someone with a lot of rep can count it for you.

Yes, the points, the comments and the links can be accessed by moderators indefinitely.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
It does show 100% of your history until it's too long to fit in there. I don't know the cutting point: 80 positions? 100? Someone with a lot of rep can count it for you.

Yes, the points, the comments and the links can be accessed by moderators indefinitely.
I have counted 310 reputation points and their content in the "My Settings: Latest reputation received" section for my city-data account.

Since I have 813 points total I assume that maybe it holds up to 310 reputation points. But maybe it can hold more than that.

I like that feature a lot with the reputation points, a section where it shows the history of all rep points, which posts someone get the reputation points for, all the rep comments, and the website links to the posts where people get rep points.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I have counted 310 reputation points and their content in the "My Settings: Latest reputation received" section for my city-data account.

Since I have 813 points total I assume that maybe it holds up to 310 reputation points. But maybe it can hold more than that.
Do bear in mind that some of the reputation comments you've received were likely worth more than a single point; as members here gain reputation and post count, their "rep power" (the number of reps they can deliver at a time) increases as well. So it's possible that you may be seeing all the comments you've gotten, just that some of them came with more points than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum