Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been noticing the past dozen or two times I've signed on to City-Data the blue box in the upper right corner says I've been given a reputation point or two but then when I go to my profile, and look at the list of them, the same old one I received (when the website was still working and adding them to the list) is at the top of the list. What is up with that?

I'm being told people are giving me points but then when I go and check, there is nothing new. This has been going on for maybe 3 weeks.

I have no idea if any of the past rep points were left with a message and have no way to respond back to that person if the info about the rep point can't be left.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can it be fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
The top of the Rep list shows rep's given by members. If you scroll down you will find a divider and below that will show rep points given by "Non-Members" or "Guests".

If you don't have that bottom part, then you do have a problem.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The top of the Rep list shows rep's given by members. If you scroll down you will find a divider and below that will show rep points given by "Non-Members" or "Guests".

If you don't have that bottom part, then you do have a problem.
I'm talking about where it says "The Latest Reputation Received". It used to be that each time I'd get a point and nobody left a message it would say "Quick Reputation" each time I'd get one and it has stopped doing that as well as (as I said before) if anyone left any comments. Those aren't showing either. It is as if this section of the profile has been frozen for about a month or actually since 10/6.... even though people have given me points since then.

Last edited by emilybh; 10-18-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I'm talking about where it says "The Latest Repuation Received".
Your reps appears to be working. You got one today, and the previous one was over a week ago.

Rich

Old 10-18-2009, 11:47 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
I've noticed that sometimes there's a sort of delayed reaction. Maybe it's when the site is especially busy? I've repped people and not seen their rep go up any until several minutes later. Other times it happens almost immediately. I just repped you OP...so see if that works!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Quote:
I'm talking about where it says "The Latest Repuation Received". It used to be that each time I'd get a point and nobody left a message it would say "Quick Repuation" each time I'd get one and it has stopped doing that as well as (as I said before) if anyone left any comments. Those are n't showing either. It is as if this section of the profile has been frozen for about a month even though people have given me points since then.
If someone gives you a reputation point via the scales in the upper right of the screen, the box pops up that offers users an opportunity to add a comment. If they use this method and do not leave a comment, the rep will be blank. The only time you see 'quick reputation' is when someone uses the quick rep button.

Hope that helps

Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
I'm talking about where it says "The Latest Repuation Received". It used to be that each time I'd get a point and nobody left a message it would say "Quick Repuation" each time I'd get one and it has stopped doing that as well as (as I said before) if anyone left any comments. Those are n't showing either. It is as if this section of the profile has been frozen for about a month even though people have given me points since then.
If it is a CD member and they rep you without leaving a comment, it will be reflected as "Quick Reputation". But non-members can rep, too. You have to scroll way down, past the reps that have comments or "quick rep" to find a second tier that is where non-members have repped you.

I didn't know about it for ages and had often wondered about those phantom reps myself.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your reps appears to be working. You got one today, and the previous one was over a week ago.

Rich
Thanks Rich if you were the one who fixed it. I don't know if the last one was over a week ago or not. If it was someone has been tampering with the site and telling me I have points but then they weren't being added as they had been in Septermber for example, when I got 40. Towards the end of September I was many times getting two or three a day. Then on 10/6 it just stopped. It is more than half way through the month of October and I only have a few including yours and the other moderator who gave me one who saw this thread.

I wonder what happened? Even when I don't post fror a while, my older posts get read and given points by readers.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If someone gives you a reputation point via the scales in the upper right of the screen, the box pops up that offers users an opportunity to add a comment. If they use this method and do not leave a comment, the rep will be blank. The only time you see 'quick reputation' is when someone uses the quick rep button.

Hope that helps
Yes. I know what you are talking about. In the latest reputation section there are a few fields which are empty -- but I wasn't even getting those after 10/6.... but I WAS getting the "1" or "2" in the upper right corner that lets you know if you have points or direct messages. Then when I would click on the "1" or "2" it would bring me to that section of the profile (or whatever you call it) but there was never anything added AT ALL under the "Latest Reputation" section - no blank fields; no "quick reputations" and no comments.

I thought EVERY time someone gave you a rep point you got at least a minimum of blank field under the "Lastest Reputation..." section--no matter how they gave it to you. It just seemed odd when I had been getting those comments or "quick reputations" at a certain rate per day or week to all of a sudden, not see any since the last one on 10/6.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Oh I just scrolled down under the "Latest reputation" section which I don't think I'd noticed before and saw that two non-members had given me points after 10/6 so I guess there has been a lull with the members who had been repping me more than once per day. Also I have noticed when I click on the "1" indicating I have a new point, sometimes when I click it on, it only goes away temporarily and will come back an hour later even though I don't think anyone did give me any new points. Can alert box ever "stick"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum