Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I was just wondering how it is decided that a blog is a best blog? For many days mine was number four on the list and now I dont see it anywhere. I started going doing the pages of blogs but then said forget it.

How is it decided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hi there, I was just wondering how it is decided that a blog is a best blog? For many days mine was number four on the list and now I dont see it anywhere. I started going doing the pages of blogs but then said forget it.

How is it decided?

I'll preface what you're inquiring with this: Blogs have a rating system where you have one to five stars (with five being the best and one the worst) and any user that reads your blogs has an opportunity to rate that post. If you have at least two posters that give you five stars, for example, then that figure will begin showing up in the upper right corner of the post you are reading, and that will read five stars. And if you take your mouse and slide the cursor underneath the stars, you can see your cumulative score for your post in the form of a numeric average. Sometimes, folks will give people 5 or 4 or 3 stars, etc, depending on whether or not they liked the post. In addition, a five-star rating has a minimum of a 4.5 score and up, and if it is 4.49 down to 3.5, then it is four stars, and so forth.

That said, once your scores begin appearing, you are entered into different lists. You'll appear under Recent Entries (scored or not and that's actually when you've finished your written piece), Best Entries, Best Blogs, and Blog Lists. And, of course, you know to go to where it says Your Blog for all the things you submit. In the Best Entries listings, page one is actually the five-star columns that were submitted back in the early days of the blog pages, and the most recent five-star offerings are found, oh gosh, around page 170 or so (as of right now), with the worst of the worst on the last pages. The more blog posts get rated, the more you'll see growth these entries take in. The listings that are under Best Blogs, in my opinion, don't really make a lot of sense and need major changes with it, and I look at that category the least because it lists almost anything and accomplishes nothing, so you really don't know what the best blogs actually are. Your best bet would be to go to the Best Entries category and do a search. Honestly, you'll find some really great stuff there and a lot of our best writers will have stuff rated with five and four stars. Also, under the Blog Lists category, page one is a chart which you can sort by either username, title, or rating (if I were you, I'd sort it by rating to find the best of the best). It should also be noted that the Recent Entries category offers the most recently-written items first on page one, so that situation is pretty self-explanatory if you've seen it. If your submissions have visible ratings, it actually gives you more exposure than just being seen in the Recent Entries category.

Whew!! Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Thank you! It sort of does, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I suppose in the way f how CD is doing things, I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum