Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,215 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to figure out why you insist on your spin off theory. Since you're talking to one of the five people who actually built this forum, and I know the other four, and I'm telling you (for the third time now) that none of us had anything to do with that other site... It's funny, you know?

Also, our first users didn't seem to be a bunch interested in discussing various aspects of city (or country, for that matter) living but rather people looking for local information for relocation purposes - that's how we started. At the time, skyscraper forums already existed but they were far from today's popularity, too.

The only similarity that I see between us is the software. Oh, and the forum division, too. However, ours stems from the fact that we're a relocation forum and we've started with the set of local real estate data pages, hence the idea for local forums.

Last edited by Marka; 03-05-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
I'm just trying to figure out why you insist on your spin off theory. Since you're talking to one of the five people who actually built this forum, and I know the other four, and I'm telling you (for the third time now) that none of us had anything to do with that other site... It's funny, you know?

Also, our first users didn't seem to be a bunch interested in discussing various aspects of city (or country, for that matter) living but rather people looking for local information for relocation purposes - that's how we started. At the time, skyscraper forums already existed but they were far from today's popularity, too.

The only similarity that I see between us is the software. Oh, and the forum division, too. However, ours stems from the fact that we're a relocation forum and we've started with the set of local real estate data pages, hence the idea for local forums.
Okay. That makes it more clear. Thanks. And the reason I had thought this forum spun off from users at SSP, SSC, etc. is because a lot of more localized, individual city forums did, and the line of interests (city-nerd stuff) that is a major part of this site and forum's subject matter and discourse is kind of a narrow area of the internet, with only a few really successful forums, this one included, catering to said crowd. Besides SSP, SSC, CD, Urban Planet, and Cyburbia, I don't know of any others. It's always seemed like kind of a tight-knit interrelated set.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Very good post. I like learning about historical items such as this. Good to know. One thing is for sure. I am hooked to City Data Forum. I doubt I would have any time for another forum to hang out in. Although I am a member of a car enthusiest forum and a sailing forum. Then again I am not too active in those single interest forums. We have so much here.

One thing I would like to know Marka: Did you ever anticipate that it would grow this big?

I am hoping that it continues to grow and I do my share of advertising at work and with family members and friends.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,215 times
Anticipate? No. Hope would have been a better word, I think. Yeah, we hoped to grow. We still do!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I sure hope that City Data Forum continues to grow also. Maybe a timeline can be published at sometime. Starting with the original few and up to where it is now and beyond.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yet you didn't include WHO started this forum or its roots, which is what I was hoping to find out!

I've been on SkyscraperPage and SkyscraperCity (less so than the former) long prior to the inception of CityData and a host of individual city forums that sprung up. So my question is and it seems like I remember it this way, but didn't CityData spring from the SkyscraperPage/SkyscraperCity crowd?

-Brian
Actually, I did. I briefly mentioned City-Data.com, which aggregates statistical data from a variety of sources about cities and towns:

Quote:
City-Data itself, a website that aggregates statistical data from the Census and other sources, existed since at least 2003. The first time Internet Archive crawled the page was September 23, 2003. See http://web.archive.org/web/200309231...city-data.com/ (broken link) for an early grab of the site. As you can see, it does not look much different from the current City-Data.com . Not many sites can say they haven't changed much over 8-9 years!
I did not mention Advameg, however. Sorry.

City-Data Forums certainly did not share roots with SkyscraperCity (which I am also a member of, though I post much less often on there). If you read my history, you will see that City-Data Forums first served primarily people who were looking to relocate and wanted information on their prospective cities or states. SkyscraperCity is more oriented towards discussion of urban development, particularly of large buildings (as its name suggests). The same with Skyscraper Pages.

As for similar forums, Cyburbia seems focused around urban planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum