Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,740 times

Advertisements

I post in various forums here. That said, the mods don't seem to do anything about duplicate threads on here. The TOS state that you should search first, yet nobody follows through and enforces it. There's also a lot of people who do a post and run. They read something they like and just paste a hyperlink with no commentary or real point to what they're saying.

I've called people out on this before and typically get my post deleted as a thank you.

Why don't the moderators actually enforce the terms of service in this regard. Perhaps you could hold people more accountable for not searching and creating what is sometimes the 4th or 5th thread on the same topic on the first page of a forum.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Rather than 'call people on this', report the posts as is directed.
After being here as long as you have, there is 'no excuse for ignorance' when it comes to how to deal with those situations.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:58 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,370 times
There is nothing about "post and run" in our terms of service, so moderators will not act on these.

As to duplicate threads, it is possible a moderator didn't see them if they don't read every new post. As old_cold said, you may report such threads.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Moderators are volunteers who have lives of their own ... It is impossible for them to read every single thread so we all can make CD a better place if we take the few seconds to report any possible TOS violation. This is usually the quickest way to get a mod's attention.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,391 times
And in all honesty, there are likely many, many people on here all wanting to post threads on the same topics and I don't see that as being a huge deal because it often invites responses from others who might have not necessarily been around or seen the other threads, so even though it is about the same or similar topic there is a likelihood of more current and more diverse info that might be helpful even to those who had orignally posted about the topic to begin with. In the grand scheme of things, is this really such a thing to be getting upset over?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 AM

That's true. Also, our rules here are not arbitrary: it's always for moderators to decide. Generally, the "no cross-posting" rule is here so that we don't see the same topic discussed in every other forum - that would read like spam. Duplicate threads are deleted if you open a forum and see multiple threads saying "Tell me about XYZ town" all over the page with nothing else to read. Otherwise, seemingly duplicate threads may offer different perspectives. It can only be decided individually.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times
It might depend on the forum. I've seen a few threads merged or locked because they were the same. Some can end up similar with people always on the move. I'm glad some aren't quick to make changes as there are those that are overzealous in their mod duties.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,740 times
Oddly, there was an instant single thread for the SOPA law, but that's the only one that applies?

I've reported them and flagged them ad nauseum. The mods don't do anything about it. There's no sticky even reminding people about it.

There's about 5 new threads a day started in the Political forum about the shooting of that kid in Florida. I reported just about all of them. Is making a sticky thread too hard?

Yes, I know what mods are and they're the same on other sites that actually stop the forums from being one slew of repeat threads. Why do you guys have that as part of the TOS if you don't plan to really do anything about it?

By the way, 4 of the top 7 posts in the political forum are about the Trayvon Martin case. All duplicates.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 PM

That's probably because we don't employ anyone to sit online 24/7 and instantly remove every single violation. Speaking of which... if you hate it so much here, there really is no need for you to spend all that time with these annoying threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.