U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,816,508 times

Advertisements

I know vbulletin has a setting where you can prevent users from editing their posts after a certain amount of time has passed. I know this forum has this setting enabled.

Is there a reason why? It really serves no purpose. If it does, please enlighten us.

If not, then consider changing it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,812,230 times
On boards with unlimited editing, I've seen it happens where a longtime poster will get into a snit and delete every last one of their posts. It has the effect of leaving gaping holes in the middle of perfectly good discussions. The edit window for members ensures that will never happen here.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM

26,530 posts, read 47,389,794 times
Yes, I consider the imposed time limit a legitimate reason for the reasons Bo has explained. Here on City-Data a user has 45 minutes to edit their post. If their is an issue they can contact a moderator with a rational reason, and it might be edited. But deleting a large number of posts would not be fair to others who took the time to reply to posts.

Rich

Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,543,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I know vbulletin has a setting where you can prevent users from editing their posts after a certain amount of time has passed. I know this forum has this setting enabled.

Is there a reason why? It really serves no purpose. If it does, please enlighten us.

If not, then consider changing it.
I would imagine the logic behind the timed post editing is to prevent people from changing or manipulating a topic after the theme of the topic has been established. You can imagine the ensuing chaos if the op started a topic asking for the merits of a Chevrolet vehicle then a dozen or so posts into the topic the op goes back to the first post and changes the topic to a Ford Vehicle, Or posts a topic on some political stance then after 3 or so pages of posts responding to the original topic then goes back to the original post and changes their original stance on the matter or changes data that every one is responding to..
If you realize a mistake has occurred in a post its been my experience that moderators will in most cases eliminate the mistake if asked...
I think the system is fine the way it is.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 29,239,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you realize a mistake has occurred in a post its been my experience that moderators will in most cases eliminate the mistake if asked...
I think the system is fine the way it is.
Or you simply add a new post saying "You know what, I just read over my last post and realized I had a typo. I should have said the water is NOT green, not the water is green." or "I re-read that post and I was a little angry when I wrote that. That other driver was a fool but on reflection I probably shouldn't have said some of those things. Sorry to vent like that."

I've found that comments like that don't make you look bad, in fact they get you a lot of sympathy.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,266,690 times
Plus if someone quotes the original post and you go change it, the quote does not change. So it can cause friction when one member states 'You change it' after I replied.

Most moderators have no problem with changing one post.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,471,162 times
When we had unlimited time to edit I remember where one person posted that they wanted to breed their dog at all costs then with all the replies that followed they edited it and made everybody else look like a tool. They edited it a day later.

45mins is enough time to post and edit if you made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum