Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

i think that the moderators have a very conservative slant and don't allow criticism of religion, family issues, not even with a sense of humor. i think that more moderate-t0-liberal moderators are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:32 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Conservative? Moderate? Liberal? That sounds like politics. How about strict, stern or mellow?
I think you'd have to be recommended or chosen by the senior mods due to your outstanding performance here on the forums.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Some find the moderators too conservative, others too liberal. I'd bet big dollars that the moderators are a mix of all those in the political and social spectrum just like the membership.

And yes, strict, stern or mellow are great terms, Rance.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i think that the moderators have a very conservative slant and don't allow criticism of religion, family issues, not even with a sense of humor. i think that more moderate-t0-liberal moderators are needed.
I don't think they should be chosen by their political views. I agree with Rance, character is more important.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Quote:
OH OH...I know!!!....start your own forum with your own mods that way you can call the shots and control all da action

Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
You would have to be nuts to want to be a mod... (chuckling)

In all fairness, this is actually one of the more balanced forums I have participated in, and coming from someone who often gets stuck in time out... Wehotex, if you are looking for a more liberal view point, you might want to check out the Democratic underground, however, whatever your leaning may be, there is no fun or challenge in hanging out with folks who pat each other on the back.

-two cents

Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Rance is a mellow fellow and is leaning toward Sweden.

I think most mods try very hard to be fair and don't like to give infractions, but sometimes it is necessary to get someone attention. Often times you have to look at the big picture. If you think someone has removed a post unfairly, I would recommend you send them a DM asking for specifics. If you aren't satisfied with the answer you can contact Markablue or Yac.

Moderators recommend posters they feel are fair and level headed. Not all recommendations are accepted by the senior admins/moderators. Oh yeah, if you are looking for a paycheck to be a mod then you are looking in the wrong place or they forgot to deposit my check..

Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Another thing members have to remember, is that moderators have to work within the established Terms of Service. They may not personally agree with every aspect of those basic guidelines, but they're not here to write their own rules on forum usage.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:56 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Conservative? Moderate? Liberal? That sounds like politics. How about strict, stern or mellow?
I think you'd have to be recommended or chosen by the senior mods due to your outstanding performance here on the forums.
It has to be a difficult job to be a moderator and try to determine what should or shouldn’t be done with some of the postings or threads.

I agree with “wehotex” and I’m sure they meant to use terms Rance introduced strict, stern and mellow. I’ve noticed more posts that have been “moved” or “closed” for one reason or another. I agree that some posts might belong in another “topic” area however maybe the “intent” of the person who posted it wanted to know the opinions of those who normally hangout in the topic and thus started a new thread in a topic that normally shouldn’t be used. It’s a matter of what the person was looking for when posting; as an example they may want to know how many people in the religion forum would like a red car ~ they post it in the religion forum not in the automotive forum. Then the moderator moves the thread to the automotive forum, and the thread isn’t view by those of the religion topic area.

Other posts I seen locked down and yet there appears to be no reason for the lockdown.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Other posts I seen locked down and yet there appears to be no reason for the lockdown.

Are you talking about a thread being locked, AksarbeN? If so, one of the reasons this occurs, as I just explained to somebody else while writing a PM, is that a member can only see their own deletion notices. Sometimes the end of a thread might be filled with a lot of posts against the T.O.S. (rude, flaming, insulting, offensive, etc.) but since you can only see your own deletion notices, you have no idea of what just went on. You have no way of knowing how many deleted posts just occurred. That may be the reason for your thinking that there appears to be no reason a thread is locked.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-04-2007 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum