Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I know that was meant for me (based on your recent rep comment). Just as an FYI: Seamonkey (which is the one I use) is an updated version of what you would remember as Netscape, but it is updated -more- often than IE, Chrome, or Firefox. It is continuously re-implemented, and in fact I just got the newest latest updated version around a week ago. Seamonkey is actually much newer and modern than Internet Explorer, which has existed since dialup.

I -also- have Chrome and IE on my computer, and I have the same exact problems with this feature on them.

Marka - you say "just turn it off" - which is all well and good - so show me how to turn it off permanently, so it doesn't show up every time I open up my browser. Show me where in the "settings" of my account, I can set this useless, redundant, pointless nonsense to "do not appear," or "off." And then I can save my settings, and it won't show up. If I could "just turn it off and be done with it," I (and many other people here) wouldn't be complaining about it in the first place.
Okay. Well, my apologies for thinking that you were using a Netscape browser from The Dark Ages. I was flabbergasted that it would even work!

However, you are still using a fairly obscure browser. You must realize that not everything is going to work with that browser like "x"ing out of something and having it stay away. It looks like everyone else that is using more popular browsers are able to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
My two cents:

it's an interesting feature, but terrible location. I closed it out because I really missed the old wide column. I agree with those that suggested placing the new feature on the top or bottom of the screen instead.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Sadly, even when I "X" it, that wide empty white column remains, and I also remain permanently logged in. When I come back to and open C-D, I'm in whatever sub-forum I as last in, but then I have to clear that annoying and space-robbing column, which, as I said, remains wide and white!

Can't we have it deleted, since it does seem to be annoying far more than just moi!

BTw, I'm on a Mac (THE computer for the thinking atheist... ), and use Chrome, and sometimes Safari (most always Chrome).
I'm on the same system and the wide white column takes up too much space visually, impairing the desire to read very much on the actual thread. It's a huge visual distraction, like glaring display ads on news websites; you just want them to go away, they give you a headache.

There must be some kind of optional pop-up box, like a yellow stickie, that allows those who want this feature to see it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Live forum preview at the bottom of the main page serves the same purpose if you happen to be interested in what's going on in other forums.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I am not a fan of this feature. I am on Firefox and have not had it return once I clicked on the X, which is fortunate; I'm old and cranky enough that I'd be really annoyed if it kept coming back. I agree with those who find that the big bar of empty white space on the side of the monitor makes it harder to read the actual content.

I started noticing this a few months back, but only when I first navigated to the site and hadn't logged in. The version they were using then was to suggest "similar" (and I use that term in its loosest possible sense) threads that a user might want to peruse, as long as they were here.

This led to what I am sure has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen on City-Data.

I was browsing in Other Topics, and I took a peek in a thread titled "OH.. Hell.. Who on CD..??" wherein the original poster asked others which forum members they'd be most comfortable, ah, hanging out and relaxing with. Well, the question mentioned gas eruptions from various bodily parts, but we won't get into more detail than that.

So when I opened the thread before logging in and took a look at it, what "similar" thread did City-Data's database think I might also wish to peruse?
That's hillarious!

Mine isn't funny but I was puzzed by the "duplicate thread title" message pop up today when I was creating a thread titled "Steam Heat" in the house forum. The duplicate thread title was in the Pittsburgh forum, where I live. (Yes, I live in the Pittsburgh forum.) I went through many emotions over this sudden quandary.

I was perplexed. Why was a thread titled that allowed to be in the Pittsburgh forum? What does it have to do with Pittsburgh? Then I was a bit frustrated. Do I really have to post in an old thread? Will I get a response if I do? People often don't see new posts in old threads. Those who do, usually reprimand for posting in an old thread. Then I became logical. Maybe the answer to my question is in that old thread?

So I take a detour and open the same titled old thread. What's it about? How Pittsburgh's sky scrapers are steam heated from our underground river. Well, that's not going to help me decide if I want to buy a house with steam heat!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
Look, there is no point in debating the issue with me. If you hate it, you hate it, it's your prerogative. My saying to give it time was just a friendly advice. If it doesn't work for you then just turn it off and be done with it. Just don't expect me to start hating it, too. We are all entitled to our opinions and I'm not going to change mine just because you or your friend disagrees with me.

For the record: I had no more to do with implementing this feature than any of you: haven't even seen it in advance, I was just as surprised by its appearance as the rest of you. I just happen to like it, that's all. I'm sorry if it offends you so much...

Perhaps because I have a wider screen but I do find the narrower post space easier to read. It's not smaller than on any given blog or news page. As I said, I'm no computer expert, I've no idea if the design is sophisticated or not. And, frankly, as a user, I don't really care as long as it's convenient for me. Well, it is. Doesn't have to be for you, though.
My apologies. I thought you had influence over this catastrophe!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Seems like this has turned into an unoffcial poll. I'll add my two cents. Those with larger than 17 inch screens probaly won't see it as much of an issue. But given that most computer screens are 17in or shorter it is a very annoying feature visually because of its incongruent affect. Plus not having the ability to turn it off forever. It's a good idea just poor design.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My two cents:

it's an interesting feature, but terrible location. I closed it out because I really missed the old wide column. I agree with those that suggested placing the new feature on the top or bottom of the screen instead.
Same here, not only is the location less than ideal, it screws up the layout of the entire page. I wish one could turn it off permanently in the settings as my browser deletes all cookies after closing. The same goes for the huge search bar at the top, pretty redundant as there is a search menu...

The idea is nice though as those links sometimes lure me to forums I hardly ever enter otherwise

Last edited by Neuling; 10-04-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad
.........But given that most computer screens are 17in or shorter it is a very annoying feature visually because of its incongruent affect.
I think he has adjusted it so its more centered.. Now i have to scroll over if i wanna see it WHICH IS MUCH BETTER (I have equal white space on each side)

Thank you Admin!!

Last edited by Dude111; 10-04-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum