U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM

372 posts, read 404,396 times

Advertisements

I posted these photos about two weeks/a week ago and I didn't know if a moderator had checked it out. I was assuming we were allowed due to the time these photos had sat there with no problem. It gives full credit, the link to Flickr, and so forth. I know other sites with the same setup allow you to post them as long as you give the proper credit to the photographer and go through the correct setup of posting a photo on Flickr, which I did.

Here are the photos I was talking about:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...thread-34.html

Thanks for any helpful responses. Just wanted to make sure what I was posting was ok.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM

35,103 posts, read 45,998,475 times
I would guess if the photos are still in your post and have not been removed by a moderator and you have not been contacted by a moderator there should be no need to post them a second time. I am not a moderator though so I do not know exactly how that works.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM

26,534 posts, read 46,659,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
I posted these photos about two weeks/a week ago and I didn't know if a moderator had checked it out. I was assuming we were allowed due to the time these photos had sat there with no problem. It gives full credit, the link to Flickr, and so forth. I know other sites with the same setup allow you to post them as long as you give the proper credit to the photographer and go through the correct setup of posting a photo on Flickr, which I did.

Here are the photos I was talking about:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...thread-34.html

Thanks for any helpful responses. Just wanted to make sure what I was posting was ok.
You just pointed to a thread, it looks like you posted several pictures.

You posted this picture. Lake Hope Sunrise | Flickr - Photo Sharing! You did not have permission to post the photo in any fashion you choose as far I am concerned. It has a license notice
Quote:
License

The Terms of Service state "Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post." I posted a link to the photo above...

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM

15,511 posts, read 15,172,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You just pointed to a thread, it looks like you posted several pictures.

You posted this picture. Lake Hope Sunrise | Flickr - Photo Sharing! You did not have permission to post the photo in any fashion you choose as far I am concerned. It has a license notice

The Terms of Service state "Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post." I posted a link to the photo above...
to add I did a Properties check on the photos and they appear to be hot-linked. The problem with this is if the person who has the flikr account has limited bandwidth, this can result in extra charges for him or over use his monthly bandwidth usage resulting in the dreaded red X being shown for all of his pictures, until the end of the month.

I suggest removing them.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,069,613 times
I agree that some sites allow posting in the manner you describe, however, they are probably not following the letter of the law and simply post and then wait to see if anybody complains, when they do, they simply remove them. We try to stay one step ahead of that so that what is posted, is never in question.

The easiest way to remember that you are always in the right.

1) Post only pictures, that YOU took. Never trust somebody else saying that they took it and you can use it. Ask them if they are willing to give you that permission in writing.

2) All other pictures, post only a link to that photo. That way a person that clicks on the link is taken to the site that displays the picture and all rights and tributes are listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum