U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 AM

32 posts, read 34,304 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me. I'm trying to find out if there is a forum setting some where in my profile settings where
I can set it to automatically subscribe me to any threads that I post a reply in. That way I don't have to remember to subscribe to each thread that I respond to?

I'd like my settings to remember that if I reply to a thread that I'd like to get emails if there's any replies to that thread.

Is that an option here?

I see in the additional options at the end of a post that I can select it, and I can select it at the top of a thread even if I don't post, but can it be auto-set?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM

14,523 posts, read 8,172,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SioSioDef View Post
Can someone help me. I'm trying to find out if there is a forum setting some where in my profile settings where
I can set it to automatically subscribe me to any threads that I post a reply in. That way I don't have to remember to subscribe to each thread that I respond to?

I'd like my settings to remember that if I reply to a thread that I'd like to get emails if there's any replies to that thread.

Is that an option here?

I see in the additional options at the end of a post that I can select it, and I can select it at the top of a thread even if I don't post, but can it be auto-set?

Thanks!
For your first questions, Yes! go to:

My Settings -> Settings & Options -> Edit Options

Here, under Messages & Notifications you can choose the option you want.

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking here. If you mean, can it be auto-set to subscribe to every thread you read, I think the answer is no.

In other words, if you want to subscribe to a thread in which you have not posted, you must choose the subscribe option at the top of the thread, as you'd mentioned.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 AM

213,503 posts, read 82,993,703 times
I just subscribe to threads I want to return to under thread tools in every thread.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 AM

6,191 posts, read 16,969,490 times
In addition to subscribing to threads as Macrina explained, a quick visual scan of the forums you frequent will remind you what threads you posted in. There's a little crooked arrow to the left of the thread title if you've posted to that thread.

You could also go to your profile and check your own posts.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 54,908,482 times
Default So when is the email notification issue going to be resolved?

There continues to be a delay in receiving emails from the threads I'm subscribed to and just wondering why isn't anything being done to fix this problem?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
For your first questions, Yes! go to:

My Settings -> Settings & Options -> Edit Options

Here, under Messages & Notifications you can choose the option you want.

Not sure what you're asking here. If you mean, can it be auto-set to subscribe to every thread you read, I think the answer is no.

In other words, if you want to subscribe to a thread in which you have not posted, you must choose the subscribe option at the top of the thread, as you'd mentioned.

The issue that the OP is having is there is no email notifcation when someone replies to a thread he/she started or is subscribed to.

This has been a ongoing issue on this site and no one seems to care about it maybe because not enough people on here care about email notification

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,687,521 times
Do you guys REALLY want all those emails? LOL!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Do you guys REALLY want all those emails? LOL!

YES

How do you stay active in threads you subsribe too???

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM

14,523 posts, read 8,172,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
YES

How do you stay active in threads you subsribe too???

This is the point of what I wrote earlier: if one subscribes to the thread, then when one comes back to C-D, one may click on My settings and 'viola' all the subscribed threads which have new comments will be right in front of one's eyes.

I don't know how to say it any plainer. And I don't know why so many people don't 'get' this.
I have the link for My Settings in my Bookmarks bar, so all my subscribed threads (having new comments ) are just one click away.
What could be easier than this? Who needs email notification, since it can be done this way?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
This is the point of what I wrote earlier: if one subscribes to the thread, then when one comes back to C-D, one may click on My settings and 'viola' all the subscribed threads which have new comments will be right in front of one's eyes.

I don't know how to say it any plainer. And I don't know why so many people don't 'get' this.
I have the link for My Settings in my Bookmarks bar, so all my subscribed threads (having new comments ) are just one click away.
What could be easier than this? Who needs email notification, since it can be done this way?

It's too much like facebook and I prefer the email notification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.