Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Closed for moderator review" can mean a couple of things. Neither are "nonsense". Usually, it's as described earlier... to close a thread that is really problematic, so that the regular mod for that forum can come and look at it, and not have as much work to do to clean it up. If the mod decides to leave it closed, they may not change the last post, but probably should, to make it clear what was done.

I will use that line in my own forums if I have a thread that is blowing up and I don't have time to fix it then, and don't want it going further downhill. In those cases, I'll come back and do what I need to do and either reopen the thread with instructions or leave it closed with a note as to why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Gotcha. Perhaps I just haven't seen any of the "closed for review" threads reopened.

I do agree with you that some sort of explanatory note explaining the thread closure would be helpful.
I frequently lock problematic threads for cleanup and then reopen them. When threads are lengthy and need review and cleanup, it can take an inordinate amount of work and time. Mods lead regular lives just as everyone else does, and it's not always possible to address a problem immediately or even within several hours. We have jobs, families and/or other life commitments just as every other user does. And we need to sleep sometime, too.

Yesterday I spent more than 2.5 hours cleaning up a single thread. Once I had read every one of more than 400 posts and cleaned up the inappropriate language, personal attacks and off-topic comments, I found it necessary to leave the thread locked. I posted a final comment to explain why the thread was closed. Then I immediately went to another problematic thread, temporarily locked it, spent more than an hour cleaning it up, and reopened it. If I had not temporarily locked that thread, it would have gained another 50 or more posts while I reviewed the earlier posts, thus creating even more clean-up work for me. Temporary locks are a necessary tool for mods.

I take as much time and care as I possibly can when cleaning up a thread, in order to be fair to all of the users who posted on it. When I clean up a thread I read every post from the beginning so that I understand the discourse and how each post relates to the OP and other posts before it. And I make judgment calls to the best of my ability. Some users whose posts are deleted or who receive an infraction are quick to cry, "But so-and-so wrote something worse and they're still able to post! You're so unfair!" But that user doesn't see what goes on behind the scenes and how much care I put into my work here in order to be fair to each and every user. That user may not be aware that the other user has received an infraction but is still allowed to post because it was their first offense, or whatever the case may be.

I think the vast majority of the mods here care a great deal about the work they do for the forum, and they truly do their best.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I frequently lock problematic threads for cleanup and then reopen them. When threads are lengthy and need review and cleanup, it can take an inordinate amount of work and time. Mods lead regular lives just as everyone else does, and it's not always possible to address a problem immediately or even within several hours. We have jobs, families and/or other life commitments just as every other user does. And we need to sleep sometime, too.

Yesterday I spent more than 2.5 hours cleaning up a single thread. Once I had read every one of more than 400 posts and cleaned up the inappropriate language, personal attacks and off-topic comments, I found it necessary to leave the thread locked. I posted a final comment to explain why the thread was closed. Then I immediately went to another problematic thread, temporarily locked it, spent more than an hour cleaning it up, and reopened it. If I had not temporarily locked that thread, it would have gained another 50 or more posts while I reviewed the earlier posts, thus creating even more clean-up work for me. Temporary locks are a necessary tool for mods.

I take as much time and care as I possibly can when cleaning up a thread, in order to be fair to all of the users who posted on it. When I clean up a thread I read every post from the beginning so that I understand the discourse and how each post relates to the OP and other posts before it. And I make judgment calls to the best of my ability. Some users whose posts are deleted or who receive an infraction are quick to cry, "But so-and-so wrote something worse and they're still able to post! You're so unfair!" But that user doesn't see what goes on behind the scenes and how much care I put into my work here in order to be fair to each and every user. That user may not be aware that the other user has received an infraction but is still allowed to post because it was their first offense, or whatever the case may be.

I think the vast majority of the mods here care a great deal about the work they do for the forum, and they truly do their best.

^^^ What she said!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

Your work is not unappreciated and I think I know what thread you're referring to.
I was owner/mod of a yahoogroup that sometimes got over 1000 posts per day and it could feel like a full-time job at times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.